Correct 351C Thermostats

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2v
I know it is a small run item but, $37.00 for a thermostat seems excessive. But, it is whatever the market will bear. Hence the $8500.00 B1 carbs. It is what it is. Chuck

Yes, when compared to NAPA's $12 it seems high, but supposedly it is made with or the same as the Robert Shaw equipment, so probably better quality. Plus, they're high flow.

The restrictor plates are a bargain, though, if you compare them to the $50+ on eBay.

$49 for both from TMeyer.

So, it says that the new thermostat would be used with the new restrictor plate. Thats implying you cant use this new thermostat with the original factory restrictor plate?

This is from the TMeyer website, nothing about having to use their restrictor plate, and they work with the 351M/400 blocks (restrictor built in).

"If you have a 351C engine, make sure you are using the by-pass plate. (this plate is NOT used in a 351M/400 blocks) You can add the by-pass plate and save ($49 for the set)."

They also say they are identical to the original Robertshaw 333 thermostat.

Just for reference. I checked at Advance Auto Parts the other day and they had the correct one in stock. It just has to have the portion of the thermostat that extends into the hole in the baffle or restrictor. Most are just like a solid plug now. I think many have just over thought this situation. They are available so do not overpay for them. When I sold the ones I found. Stant 333, it made me curious so I just went checking there are plenty out there.

Since I got the head gaskets on my 351 turned the right way I do not have any overheating issues with a .060" overbore, cam and air conditioner. It does have the correct Stant Thermostat and is a 192 deg. It does have the factory baffle in it also and a 14 lb. cap on the wide radiator.

If you are overheating there is a reason and there is no need to remover or replace the factory baffle in a 351 C engine.

D

Are we looking at the by-pass plate in this photo?

d7b674ee15cd9aaba0085922baacc599.jpg

Are we looking at the by-pass plate in this photo?

d7b674ee15cd9aaba0085922baacc599.jpg
Yes sir it is a bypass plate.
That is the stock Ford plate in my 351 H code that is bored .060" over. The end of the thermostat goes into the center hole to slightly change the water flow in the Cleveland engine.

Back