Correct Air Cleaner Decal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jason,

A 1971-73 ram air cleaner lid does not get a decal, it is blank. The outside of.the ram air hood gets a 351 or 429 ram air decal in either black or silver next to the ram air flapper opening.

Mac

Mac,

Thanks for the response. I'm pretty sure a Boss 351 got the small "351 4V" decal, am I wrong on that?
From what I understand the Boss 351 breather cover had NO decal.

People try to add them but mine is just blue with no decal.

Ray

Good info, thanks guys.

While my car is a factory Ram Air car, the plenum and cleaner were long gone when I got the car years back. I bought the repro set from Don at OMS and never added decals. Guess that is correct after all. That repro set from Don is real nice, btw. Anyone contemplating, no worries on the quality.

Good info, thanks guys.

While my car is a factory Ram Air car, the plenum and cleaner were long gone when I got the car years back. I bought the repro set from Don at OMS and never added decals. Guess that is correct after all. That repro set from Don is real nice, btw. Anyone contemplating, no worries on the quality.

THe repro breathers come painted black. If you are interested in it looking more original, paint your repro breather assy Ford Corporate Blue - I bet Don at OMS sells rattle cans in that color.

Here is an M code motor detailed with ram air. I am not sure but the ram air decal might be ok/correct???

correct_mustang_engine_paint_color+_cleveland_351ci_1971.jpg

Ray

Ray,

Its been a couple years now, but the first thing I did was to paint it Ford Corporate Blue.

The other thing on my car that was removed at some point was the factory AC. I'm guessing it was dumped at the time a previous owner changed the heater core, installing a non-AC core. All the lines, evap, compressor etc. were removed. I still have the original factory compressor however. After reading what another member (72Hcode?) did to install a factory AC system, it wouldn't be worth the trouble to restore it. Classic Auto Air might be an option down the road. But I'm fine without AC.

Good info, thanks guys.

THe repro breathers come painted black. If you are interested in it looking more original, paint your repro breather assy Ford Corporate Blue - I bet Don at OMS sells rattle cans in that color.

Here is an M code motor detailed with ram air. I am not sure but the ram air decal might be ok/correct???

Ray
I believe that that decal was from 69/70 Shelbys. Don't think that the air cleaner had a Ram Air Decal. Not 100% on that though.

Jason,

I fully understand wanting to rebuild the correct A/C stuff. But I have seen many really nice cars using the newer Sanderson style AC compressor instead of the original York unit. I guess that is like the alternate system you mentioned.

Unless you plan to show it concourse just build it like you desire. With or without AC - you can still have a very enjoyable car.

Hey jbojo,

You guys are helping me learn all the time. THANKS! And I think you are correct about that decal being used on a 68/70 Shelby.

So for the M codes it could be correct to leave it without any decal. Just not sure on this one...

Ray

Believe it or not ram air was presented / certified on a 2V car not the 4V. Because of this, the government would only allow Ford to offer ram air on 2V cars. The one exception is the 1971 Boss 351. A note of interest, the decal on the outside of the ram air hood for a Boss reads "Ram Air" not 351 (or 429) Ram Air like on all other ram air cars.

Mac

The decal shown is from a 69/70 Shelby GT350. I have two ram filter housings. One I bought new from Ford And One I bought from a friend who had totaled his 71 Mach1 with factory ram air(built 3/71). Neither had decals on the lid. Unless your going to Concours show your car I would run whatever I liked. Remember the saying back when these cars were new? "If it feels good, Do It"!

Last edited by a moderator:
Believe it or not ram air was presented / certified on a 2V car not the 4V. Because of this, the government would only allow Ford to offer ram air on 2V cars. The one exception is the 1971 Boss 351. A note of interest, the decal on the outside of the ram air hood for a Boss reads "Ram Air" not 351 (or 429) Ram Air like on all other ram air cars.

Mac
Yes and no...

From what I understand-

The ruling for the 2V ram air only did not go onto effect until about Jan 1971. So many 4V 1971 cars came factory equipped with ram air. Up until then (about Jan 1971) NO 2V cars were so equipped. ANd some early 72 Q codes received it as well (early production 72 models). After that date - of which I am not positive about - no 4V cars received rqam air from the factory.

You forgot about the J code 429 SCJ cars. They all came with factory ram air in 1971. The C code 429 CJ's did not.

Ray

Mac
Yes and no...

From what I understand-

The ruling for the 2V ram air only did not go onto effect until about Jan 1971. So many 4V 1971 cars came factory equipped with ram air. Up until then (about Jan 1971) NO 2V cars were so equipped. ANd some early 72 Q codes received it as well (early production 72 models). After that date - of which I am not positive about - no 4V cars received rqam air from the factory.

You forgot about the J code 429 SCJ cars. They all came with factory ram air in 1971. The C code 429 CJ's did not.

Ray
My 1971 M code was built in January of 1971 and came from the factory with Ram Air.

To the best of my recollection, ram air was available throughout 1971 on all 4v engines. The trouble began in 1972. Emissions testing and compliance had now become an issue. All engine with & w/o ram air, transmission, and rear differential combinations had to be certified and "Big Brother" was watching. From what my sources tell me, one of the engineers had slipped a "illegal" tune on the 4v 351 to "Help" it along and to speed up things. Fine until an upper level engineer found out and told the Federal people. All testing would have to start from the beginning on that particular engine set up which was time consuming and expensive. And would tie up engineers who needed to work on the upcoming 1973 launch and Ford probably figured that it wasn't worth the $$ since they knew the end was near for the 71,2,3, body style.

In 1972 I didn't know any better and almost got "Removed" from the local dealer. I had ordered a 72 Gran Torino Sport with a Q code ram air. When it came in with no ram air I Showed my A$$ and accused the salesman of just not ordering it. It had a chrome lid with "351-4V" and not" 351-CJ". GRRR! He had to show me the bulletin from Ford stating there had been an emissions compliance problem and the option had been dropped on the 4v 351. A few early production 72's made it out the door but my 72 Torino (built 5/12/72) didn't make it. I know trying to figure out "Things" that took place over 40+ years ago can be confusing at times. :eek:)

Last edited by a moderator:
OK guys - this should make more sense. I definitely made a very bad typo. I should have said "January 1972". From my research to date, the ram air on 4V cars ended somewhere around that date. This explains the 'early 72 cars that were introduced around Sept of 1971.

Hopefully, I can work to tighten up the end dates of production for 4V ram air and the beginning production of the 2V ram air cars.

Thanks for your patience with me and helping me keep it real.

Ray

Ray, I have a 72 Q Code Mach 1 which is a 351 4v and build date of 2/2/72. It did not come from the factory with ram air.

Thanks Jpaz. This helps validate. Chuck - c9zx and others have helped me determine it was very near the end of the 1971 calendar year. (I checked for typo's this time! LOL)

Ray

For what it is worth I have a Dec of 70 built M code convert with factory installed Ram Air. Marti confirmed.

- Paul

Back