Correct decals for 73 Q code engine bay

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 red convertible 351 4 V
OK I have the Caution Fan, Emission and Engine decals. What am I missing. I seen a few cars with front on the air cleaner not sure if that on a 73 Q code or not. I know some of the decal kits that are sold are not correct.

John J

Hemikiller you kill me. 
My car had and has the caution fan sticker. The air cleaner says 351 4-V, NO CJ no Cobra Jet is 73. I never had any kind of battery sticker and never had the letters stuck on the cowl. I think that those were on audit cars. Ford never checked 100% or every car you do not inspect in quality. You do quality audits and I think only the audit cars got the stickers. There is a sticker on the AC dryer and like stated the AC info sticker on the radiator support. 73 had the printed sticker on the R.H. valve cover that told how the engine was equipped. The emissions sticker is on the L.H. valve cover on a 73. You do also have grease pencil marks in various places. Not all the same. I am not up to speed on them for sure. There are several inspection stamps on the engine and again depends on what inspector and shift. Here are a few pics of what is on my car.

DSC_0949.JPG

DSC_0955 (2).JPG

DSC_0955.JPG

DSC_0956.JPG

DSC_0961.JPG

DSC_0962.JPG

DSC_0968.JPG

DSC_0969.JPG

DSC00148.JPG

100_2214.JPG

OK I think have have the correct decals.The only one I don't have is the AC one on the side of the receiver. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

John J

IMG_0329 engine tag.jpg

IMG_1398.JPG

IMG_0428 (1).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
OK I think have have the correct decals.The only one I don't have is the AC one on the side of the receiver. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

John J

View attachment 44161

View attachment 44167

View attachment 44166
John,
I can't believe it after all these years of looking for the K620AG decal you have a picture of everything I have been looking for!!! K620AG 16A 5 6 with black print. Were you able to find an exact replacement?

If anyone has any information on this mystery I would love to hear it. This car was my girlfriends fathers. He was the second owner and it has 8900 original miles on it. His wife made him park it on the side of the house and the cowl rotted out. if you look close at the fenders and on the trunk lid it has factory cobra snake emblems. Likewise on the cowl there was a factory stamped tag with perfect compound curves and contours that was riveted to the cowl with factory vin rivets, I think.does anyone know anything about this? I can only come up with it could have been something a yenko type dealer thing. I have the Marti report and it is plain jane.

I have it down to subframes and makin it new again. 351 q code, C6 you can see the front but add a full floor trunk floor, door jams, outer wheel wells, new quarter and thats the beginning lol.

Attachments

• ScannedImage.jpg
    ScannedImage.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 31
  • car 3.jpg
    car 3.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 27
  • car 2.jpg
    car 2.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 24
  • car 1.jpg
    car 1.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 29
  • pics 1.jpg
    pics 1.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 31
  • page3 mustang untouched.JPG
    page3 mustang untouched.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 31
  • page2 mustang untouched.JPG
    page2 mustang untouched.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 34
  • cowl tag -2.jpg
    cowl tag -2.jpg
    462.5 KB · Views: 35
  • ScannedImage-3.jpg
    ScannedImage-3.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 33
John,
I can't believe it after all these years of looking for the K620AG decal you have a picture of everything I have been looking for!!! K620AG 16A 5 6 with black print. Were you able to find an exact replacement?
When I painted my valve covers I was able to peel it off. I took it to a sign o rama store and they duplicated it.

John

John,
By any chance do you know if they made a file or record of it? Likewise did you by any chance order one with the blue letters just to see if they were close? Just asking I can piece one together from the jim osborne copies and then have it done in black but just not sure about the letter thickness etc. When I started this project there was only film in camera's and I thought I had plenty of good pics but turns out I should have developed the film before I started taking things apart. At least I can see the entire decal from your pic. I was smart enough to write down the info and draw my decal before I stripped the valve cover. At the time I thought everything was available and all 73qcodes were made the same, as Gomer Pyle would say, Surprise Surprise!!

John,
By any chance do you know if they made a file or record of it? Likewise did you by any chance order one with the blue letters just to see if they were close? Just asking I can piece one together from the jim osborne copies and then have it done in black but just not sure about the letter thickness etc. When I started this project there was only film in camera's and I thought I had plenty of good pics but turns out I should have developed the film before I started taking things apart. At least I can see the entire decal from your pic. I was smart enough to write down the info and draw my decal before I stripped the valve cover. At the time I thought everything was available and all 73qcodes were made the same, as Gomer Pyle would say, Surprise Surprise!!
I may have the old one or an extra new one that I will give you. The only issue is I am moving to SC and all my car crap is there. I am still in Michigan. If you can wait a couple of weeks I will see if I can find one or the other when I move there for good.

John

That would be great! I am putting this thing back to factory condition and the decal has been something that has bothered me for a long time. I spent last night looking at the repo selections and comparing the letters and numbers to your picture of the valve cover and there is nothing that is actually correct, especially the 2 and the K.

Did you go all the way and duplicate all the factory assembly line markings? I still have the crayon marks on my leaf springs, brake drums as well as paint markings on the springs etc. I wish I would have taken more and better pictures in the beginning, but testosterone and excitement got the best of me, and I didn't realize how 73 was an end of the line year.

I appreciate your help, it looks like this is a good site to be a part of. Time to become a real member, do I get a free hat and bumper sticker or maybe a gallon of high test with my membership! lol

I have never seen, or heard of, anything like the cowl metal tag. Chuck
yeah it's a real mystery. My girlfriends father bought it for my girlfriends older sister for high school probably in 77, luckily he never gave to the daughter because it was too fast. I know he was the second owner and the car stayed parked on the side of the house and never moved. 8900 original miles. The cobra stickers/emblems are identical to the torino emblems and the tag is too well formed and stamped to be made by someone in a garage. It has to be a dealer something or other

I hope this helps, I am including pics of my engine compartment stickers which are all original. I must mention she is a CA. car if this makes a difference. I see from others slight differences but since I am the original owner and no major engine work done it is impossible that mine are wrong. Good luck on the work. I just pulled my radiator to have it recored since I can not replace it.

Attachments

• 20220717_121438.jpg
    20220717_121438.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 20220717_121321.jpg
    20220717_121321.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • 20220717_121352.jpg
    20220717_121352.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 20220717_121403.jpg
    20220717_121403.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 20220717_121317.jpg
    20220717_121317.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 8
I highly appreciate everything you have to offer. I was convinced I took better pictures but can't find them if I did. I did draw the markings on the heads and have tried to find stamps to reproduce them but no luck. You are the original owner of a California car? Nice. Another thing that has me stumped is the air cleaner. Does your car have the cj door on the side of the cleaner? Mine doesn't and there is no plumbing laying around that would operated it.

Any under the hood pictures showing the production line markings would be helpful.

If anyone has any information on this mystery I would love to hear it. This car was my girlfriends fathers. He was the second owner and it has 8900 original miles on it. His wife made him park it on the side of the house and the cowl rotted out. if you look close at the fenders and on the trunk lid it has factory cobra snake emblems. Likewise on the cowl there was a factory stamped tag with perfect compound curves and contours that was riveted to the cowl with factory vin rivets, I think.does anyone know anything about this? I can only come up with it could have been something a yenko type dealer thing. I have the Marti report and it is plain jane.

I have it down to subframes and makin it new again. 351 q code, C6 you can see the front but add a full floor trunk floor, door jams, outer wheel wells, new quarter and thats the beginning lol.
It may be worthwhile to pull this into your own post to allow folks researching 73 decals to stay on point. It may also help to post your Marti report to show where the vehicle was sold or sent to when leaving Dearborn. I am unaware of such a tag but we do learn new things everyday.

It may be worthwhile to pull this into your own post to allow folks researching 73 decals to stay on point. It may also help to post your Marti report to show where the vehicle was sold or sent to when leaving Dearborn. I am unaware of such a tag but we do learn new things everyday.
Thanks I was thinking about that yesterday. Still new to social media thing lol. But I bet someone on this site might know

I may have the old one or an extra new one that I will give you. The only issue is I am moving to SC and all my car crap is there. I am still in Michigan. If you can wait a couple of weeks I will see if I can find one or the other when I move there for good.

John
Hey John,

How was winter down south? I am thinking no snow tires needed lol. Hey I am just wondering if you ever came across the K620AG engine decal we were talking about a few months ago?

Hey John,

How was winter down south? I am thinking no snow tires needed lol. Hey I am just wondering if you ever came across the K620AG engine decal we were talking about a few months ago?
I have not found it yet unfortunately. If I do I will contact you. I still have boxes that I need to empty. I thought it was in a binder where I keep my mustang documents but no such luck.

John J

Back