Correct Factory and Dealer Floor Mats 1973

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
Today I was moving stuff from the old garage, that is packed, to the new garage that is filling up fast, lol. I located the original Factory installed floor mats for my 1973 Mach 1 with Ginger interior. The mats would be the same for any model.

If you ordered from the Factory listed as , Front Color-Keyed Floor Mats, on window sticker they were a $13.30 option and only gave you the two front mats. There were no running pony all rubber mats offered in 73, not even dealer. I believe that the 72 was the last one it was available. It is not shown in the dealer options book for 73 only the carpet insert style.

When I received the car the mats were in a plastic bag in the back floor, no dealer prep on the car. I ordered the rear mats from the dealer only way to get them. When people see these mats they always say aftermarket because they have the odd symbol molded in them nothing about a mustang. All of the Ford cars got the same style in different sizes.

In the pics you can see time was not good to them dried out and cracking. The drivers was well worn from cruising this was my date car. Had a 71 Maverick Grabber and a 72 Suzuki 550 to drive to work.

I took pictures of the part numbers, rear is not L & R same both sides the fronts are L & R, on the back so if you see any of these at a swap meet, on eBay or cl at least post a link to the Forum. They would be the only ones correct for a Concourse correct car.

I have another set that is for the red interior.

DSC_0098.JPG

Thanks David for putting up the pics of these mats. Now I know exactly what I'm looking for, IF a set ever turn up for sale. As you know mine also came from the factory with them. I seen somebody advertise making them, but they didn't look anything like these do. Unfortunately I think another part for our cars that won't be made by the aftermarket. The hunt continues.

David, those mats were sourced from the full size Ford so a lot of different colors were available. They fit just about everything in the Ford line except cars with a small floor pan like the Pinto. They had a generic non Ford emblem on the top of the mat, while the Luxury line (T-Bird and Lincoln) had their own style mats. Wasn't a very expensive option, but a lot of folks were disappointed with the non-Ford generic look and when they found out what a PIA they were to clean. The rubber part was easy to wash but then you had to wait for the carpet part to dry. On some the carpet would come loose and start to lift from the mat. Sold a lot of the rubber mats to replace the carpet mats. Most people just handed me the OE mats and asked if I would throw them away. I had a waist high stack of them at one time, but they were starting to take up so much room my boss finally told me to do something with them. (Boss speak for "Move Them")! As hard as I tried no one wanted them, so I finally hauled them to the dumpster. Some were out of new cars that customers wanted replaced before they bought the vehicle. So I'll play another verse of "If I Only Knew Then, What I Know Now"!

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with Steve about those same or similar mats used in other FoMoCo cars. They are the same as the ones my dad had in his new 1974 LTD Brougham 2-door 460 4V. I really liked that car. Even with the 460 - not much for power but my dad ordered it with a 'new' Quadraphonic AM-FM 8 track. White with black interior (incl mats :) ) I had to clean them many times. And yes that carpet did not fare to well for heavy use it lifted.

Ray

Ray, we must of been working out of the same playbook. My parents had bought a 74 LTD Brougham 2-door with a 400. White with blue interior. My Dad finally got fed up with the carpet mats so I got sent down to the dealer to pick up a set of blue full width rubber mats complete with Ford ovals!

By then even the mighty 460 was feeling the effects of low compression. My uncle had a 75 Mercury Grand Marquis with a 460, but considering the extra cubes and 4bl it just didn't seem to be much faster than my Dad's LTD. (You just know that Cuz and I tried 'em out)! But, you could flip the air cleaner lid upside down on the 460 to get that "Sound"! :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray, we must of been working out of the same playbook. My parents had bought a 74 LTD Brougham 2-door with a 400. White with blue interior. My Dad finally got fed up with the carpet mats so I got sent down to the dealer to pick up a set of blue full width rubber mats complete with Ford ovals!

By then even the mighty 460 was feeling the effects of low compression. My uncle had a 75 Mercury Grand Marquis with a 460, but considering the extra cubes and 4bl it just didn't seem to be much faster than my Dad's LTD. (You just know that Cuz and I tried 'em out)! But, you could flip the air cleaner upside down on the 460 to get that "Sound"! :whistling:
Flipping the air cleaner lid upside down even added "that sound" to my 250 back in the day.

Good to know that they were available across other models as well, should help with the hunt. As long as they're not super crazy expensive like the ones for my other car. They were $800 Australian and have been offered twice that as they're not available anywhere, in fact I saw a used set of them go for $500.

I can't say I've ever seen a set of these up for sale, but then again it's not what I thought they'd look like either. Hopefully there's a decent set out there or even NOS.

Yes Steve we all have those stories, if only we knew then what we know now. I can see why these things were not popular, as for not having so much as Ford on them is pretty stupid really. Then again this is what happens when bean counters are in charge of things.

Many lol's on the upside down air cleaner. I think as young fellas we all tried that trick as it was supposed to make our cars go quicker. I think all it managed to do was get your air filter dirtier quicker.

Yep, one of my buddies with a 250 Maverick showed me that trick, and I also did it to my mom's new (at the time) '77 Chevy Nova 305 2 bbl. It did sound powerful, but that car was a dog. Small block smogger V8 with no horsepower and no gas mileage, a lethal combo. The thing got 10 mpg city and was always in the shop. Now my '71 429 CJ-R has mucho horsepower and no gas mileage (around 7 MPG), a much better combo. :)

Back