Correct harness routing for map light installation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
1971 Mustang Mach I
1972 Mexican GT-351
1971 Mustang Convertible
1988 Bronco II
1970 Torino 4 door
I got a great map light. Cleaned it up and had previously spliced into my existing harness to upgrade to the convenience group (I repurposed a plug from a hacked up harness). Light works as expected however I am not sure my splice work providing enough spare length to install correctly. It looks like there is no obvious hole for an original harness so I simply have it on top of the dash. I can splice in additional length if needed.

16260327798155739584516996330798.jpg

For what it is worth, I ran my wiring through the tri gauge cluster hole, and then routed it up and around the glove box/cubby hole...as I had some extra length of wire on my splice.

I was thinking about going the same as your route, but I wasn’t sure of how the dash pad cover would fit over the wiring and/or the friction/rub on the wires over time underneath the dash pad.

cheers

The electrical assembly manual from Jim Osborne makes it look like the cable runs along the inside of the center dash, under the main dash top.  It appears to emerge to the side of the lamp itself.  Not sure if that can actually happen, but I have a complete dash hanging on the wall I can take a look at this evening.

Thx for all the responses. I should have taken pics when I was replacing the dash pad on my Mach (it has this option).

It does look like there is room for the cable to go under the dash frame behind the center dash panel.  I'm not sure you can fish the connector through without taking the center dash panel off.

Back