Correct original color of the front license plate bracket

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 T5 Q-Code 4-Speed
Hi,

I am wondering about the correct original color of the front license plate bracket, especially the 73s - could it be also Slop Gray? Have seen some photos of 71/72s, which let you assume this, but they where not detailed.

Any knowledge here about this? Didn't find anything in the respective sites...

My original front license plate bracket - ‘73 Vert.

Last edited:
Well that looks to be slop gray. I stand corrected! I guess i'll be painting my bracket this spring. Thanks Pastel Blue.

Well that looks to be slop gray. I stand corrected! I guess i'll be painting my bracket this spring. Thanks Pastel Blue.
Always up for adding to the workload... :whistling:

Thanks. Between my bosses demands and the wife's honey due list,  i already have plenty of work I am not getting done. Tough choice... paint the kitchen or the license plate bracket and a dozen other things on the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rich, thanks for the laugh! Went through a similar situation few weeks back. We were going to be out of town for two weeks during Christmas. Wife wanted bathroom and kitchen painted before we left. Got a call from an out of state friend on a couple of 71 Mach 1parts cars, but would require me to to be gone for a couple of days. Ahhh...I can sleep WHERE?!?? I found the paint and rollers!!!     :whistling:

Not a lot of paint left on the brackets on my two cars. Bracket looks black on my early built 71 (9/70) and slop gray on the late  (7/71) build car. I would go with slop gray as on Ken's time capsule example!

Thanks. Between my bosses demands and the wife's honey due list,  i already have plenty of work I am not getting done. Tough choice... paint the kitchen or the license plate bracket and a dozen other things on the car.
Yep. Know that feeling... She wants the laundry room refinished (for the last two years...), but I have two cars I am trying to complete... Good luck in your quest to keep everyone happy.

Last edited:
Shortly said: happy wife, happy life... ;)

Our hobby could get extreme sometimes so we all have to be happy if we have an understanding wife (and children) who let us be as we are. And if we could do something little for her we should - who knows which desirable NOS-part we will come across in near future on Epay... :whistling:

Concerning my topic:

Thank you for clearing that out - front license plate = slop gray ::thumb::

Our hobby could get extreme sometimes so we all have to be happy if we have an understanding wife (and children) who let us be as we are. And if we could do something little for her we should - who knows which desirable NOS-part we will come across in near future on Epay... :whistling:

Concerning my topic:

Thank you for clearing that out - front license plate = 
My strategy when I plan a build or a major auto related purchase is to double what I think it will cost to fund the wife's redecorating project or vacation plans. That way she's happy and so am I  :angel:

Concerning my topic:

Thank you for clearing that out - front license plate = 
My strategy when I plan a build or a major auto related purchase is to double what I think it will cost to fund the wife's redecorating project or vacation plans. That way she's happy and so am I  :angel:
That's a good strategy too I will keep in mind :D ::thumb::

You know I never put mine on my 73 so it is stashed somewhere in a box so NOS will have to find if I can and get some pics. Been sorting parts for a week now putting in bins with labels going to put on excel spread sheet with location. Brain cells not there anymore got to use the computer. Been finding stuff I forgot about. Got several of the NOS Autolite tune up kits in the round cardboard cans. I see them on ebay for like $100 sometimes, lol. Seems like I got for like $5.00 new.

David

Back