Correct radio for '73 Convertible?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scubaman

Reaction score
My Car
73 convertible
I currently have a '73 Code convertible. In 2004 the original AM radio was replaced with an RCA am/fm 8 track. This RCA fits the radio slot in the center bezel without any modifications (see photos).

It was a replacement option from NPD back then and it is still working ok. Tapes occasionally drag or do not play (kinda like they did back in the '70's) I am thinking of replacing the 2004 RCA with a period correct 8 track.

What I am trying to determine is whether an AM/FM 8 track was an option back then in this '73 convertible mustang or was the AM 8 track the only option. I have located a "re built" AM 8 track on ebay from guy in Canada. He says the only option back then was a AM 8 track.

On consideration is I would like to install a radio with the correct plug. The RCA has the correct plug ( see photos) it is the top plug with the two female holes not the 4 holes. The am 8 track from Canada does have correct plug. The problem is I like FM radio not just AM.

Finally another forum member did point out that the bezel does have a "knock out" at the top to allow the insertion of a bigger AM/FM 8 track.

So the ? is:
Do I leave the current RCA in the car and enjoy FM and 8 tracks?
Do I get the AM only 8 track and have a more period correct radio?

Attachments

• IMG_8252.jpg
    IMG_8252.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8159.PNG
    IMG_8159.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8156.PNG
    IMG_8156.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • mustang radio rca installed.jpg
    mustang radio rca installed.jpg
    563.9 KB · Views: 0
73s and 71/72s had 3 radio choices.
AM dash speaker
AM-8track stereo, door speakers
AM-FM stereo. door speakers

The AM-8Track used the taller hole mounting bezel/ volume tuning face plate.
Later in the 70s Ford offered AM/FM 8Tracks, might fit, but I am not sure.

Unless you're going for a concourse correct car, I'd leave the RCA in place. It's a period correct aftermarket radio, has FM, and is paid for! Finding an original AM 8-track is easy enough but finding one in working order is another story. You can have one restored or even updated to provide all the current car stereo features but either way involves shelling out some cash.

I have one of the later 70's AM/FM/8 tracks in my 72 vert. and it fits perfect and looks correct/original.

IMHO, Sheriff41 has it right. Leave it there, it looks great! I have a vintage AM/FM/8-Track, but i also did this...
I put a decent amplifier under the package tray. Then I custom made a subwoofer box and put that in there too. I mounted high efficiency speakers in the usual places. I then ran wires from the amp to a bluetooth receiver, that I mounted cleanly in the console ashtray area, (since I don't allow smoking in my car). So now everything looks like proper 1970s, since the AM FM 8Track is in the dash (not hooked to amp) and the new tech is all hidden. I pair my phone to the bluetooth receiver, and I get loud, clean music that's already on my phone, or I can stream any music service I want. (might as well use your phone since it goes everywhere with you, anyway)

Here is how I mounted the bluetooth receiver, and the Amp's power switch (red light on the toggle).
That particular bluetooth receiver is no longer made, but there are plenty of choices out there.

1691771348792.png

Back