correct thermostat

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 dark green
Yes, either one of those are correct for Cleveland engines. Did you verify that the restrictor plate is in place on your engine?

You can read more about the problem in this thread

For what it's worth, the one I use is a Stant 195* and looks like the one you took out. I will say that the "hat" barely closes off the hole in the restrictor plate, but I have had zero issues using that t/stat over the last 4 years it's been in there. Should I ever need to replace it, I may consider the high flow design, but the price puts me off a bit being it's US dollars. But, it's your dollars, you decide.

The "high flow" thing is not needed If the flow is too fast the water does not have time to cool in the radiator. That is another reason you need 195 so the water has time to cool down. 
Here are two types both correct for 351 C it is the height that matters so that the end of the thermostat that goes out enters the hole in the baffle in the block. 
I found several NOS Stant 195 at an old parts house and bought them all.

I did have them pull a thermostat off the shelf at Advance Auto and it looked to be correct also. 

DSC_0948 (2).JPG

DSC_0949 (2).JPG

Back