Coupe trunk lid mounting question. What goes in the hinge arms for the bolts to thread into?

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

Bentworker

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
71' Grande project.
Time has come to fit the trunk lid back onto the hinge arms.

I looked in the body assembly manual and didn’t see a diagram of what I am looking for.  The hinge arms are hollow, with no threaded inserts.  My guess is that there is supposed to be a threaded insert of some sort that slides into the tube.  That would accept the bolt that mounts the trunk lid to the arms?

Anyone have a pic of what I am talking about?

Thanks for your time!

timachone

I love my nostrils!
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 T5 Q-Code 4-Speed
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

There are some sort of U-nuts slided on them... Then you can bolt through the hinges from the other side. 

Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
It is a special two nut insert. It is think metal frame with two nuts retained in it and has a hook to stop it from falling into the hinge. The convertible is the same. We have a member parting a convertible check with him. I did not have a picture.

Bentworker

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
71' Grande project.

There are some sort of U-nuts slided on them... Then you can bolt through the hinges from the other side. 
Interesting- that makes it look like the sportsroof / Mach1 mounting is totally different than the coupe.

Bentworker

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
71' Grande project.
It is a special two nut insert. It is think metal frame with two nuts retained in it and has a hook to stop it from falling into the hinge. The convertible is the same. We have a member parting a convertible check with him. I did not have a picture.
Will do- I’ll check on the vert parts.

cwalker509

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
1971 Mustang Mach I
1972 Mexican GT-351
Thx for the referral. I pm'd the OP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don C

Fords Forever
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Sportroof M code
I agree, I looked in all of the manuals I have, couldn't find any reference to them.

Bentworker

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
71' Grande project.
That's interesting - I did not know that, sorry... Thought, all are the same! 
It was good that you posted the photo- someone will find this thread years down the road and it will have all the deck lid mounting info.