Couple questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertable
I don't think these are big enough to have in separate threads, but could use some help and advice.

#1.

I obviously took the time to label these BUT I did not put enough effort into the label, I now know which side of the car they are for, but have no idea as to what they are or where they go ..... :huh:  I have another baggie labeled left front.. :whistling:

DSC_9270.jpg

Where do I get a cover for the opening where the turn signal comes out of the steering column on a tilt version.? Is it the same as a non-tilt?

DSC_9269.jpg

Any tips for attaching this piece of weather stripping, It will be easy to put in the screws at the top, and I guess I use some contact type glue for attaching the tail, but how do I go about making sure it is positioned correctly? I assume I only get one shot at this?

DSC_9271.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The black covers in the first picture go at the front end of the front fender and close off couple holes that go to the fasteners for the end cast part I believe. Will have to see if I have picture of the tilt there.

The weather stripping does apply with the screws up high and yes use 3-M weatherstrip adhesive. Can get at your local paint supply or order online. You need to be careful when putting on and not stretch the rubber or it will end up being too long. You put the adhesive on both the body and the rubber and when they touch they stick so have in correct place. Put masking tape on the body to keep it off areas you can see.

David

Put masking tape on the body to keep it off areas you can see.

David
I really like this ^. Not only will it keep the glue only where needed, but it will act as a template for locating the foam.

I should be able to find the location for the plasitc pieces, now that I know where to look ::thumb::

thnx

Picture #1.... these are the front fender fillers. They prevent water and debris from collecting in the fender where the headlight bucket mount is. The longer part mounts to the side and the short part to the underside of the top section.

Picture #3.... See picture below. Use 3M weather strip adhesive and just follow the coutour around the door jamb across the bottom abd up the front side to the screw hole. The seal needs to be in close to the ledge around the door.

Picture #2  

DOAZ-9D793-A (ID# DOAA-9D793-AA) is the cover used where the turn signal/tilt lever is located. These were used on tilt wheel equipped vehicles only and were also on 70-72 full size Ford's, T-Bird's and the sister Mercury cars. There was a corporate change in the steering column design in 1973, so the piece your looking for was no longer used. I checked several of my sources for Nos parts and no one has any. But there are two I saw on E-Bay. The new one is $199.99 + $10.85 shipping (not bad for a part that retailed for under $5.00)   :whistling: There is also a used one (in the sellers description "new" is listed twice and "used" once) that you would have to bid on starting at $24.99 + $6.95 shipping. It looks to be in good shape considering lot of them were cracked or broken. At the present there are no bids. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-1971-1972-1973-FORD-MUSTANG-TILT-STEERING-COLUMN-ACCESS-HOLE-COVER/282992235246?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D52569%26meid%3Df67855ee525c42c9bd3db767259c4787%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D390836377784%26itm%3D282992235246&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

If you don't want to do  E-Bay you could check with Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply, Mike @ Motor City Mustang, or maybe one our our Forum Members might have one looking for a good home!

^ thanks, maybe he guy will take a make offer ?

I'm now thinking that I might be able to make something out of thin black plastic, cut a hole and use a hot air gun to form into a curve ?

I'm assuming I'd have to pull the steering wheel, but hope I wouldn't have to take in more apart than that. I know the turn signal lever screws out.

Back