Crack in Paint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssiegel4

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Hello, I have a '73 vert and I happened to notice a very thin, one-inch crack has appeared in the paint behind the chrome molding just behind the fabric top (please see pics). The paint is not original; the car received a medium- quality repaint about 15 years ago. Is there something I can inject into or paint over the crack to prevent it from spreading further? Could this be this the result of rust underneath (the car to this point has appeared to me to be rust-free)? Or, since it's in the vicinity of the top and the trunk, could the movement of the top going up and down (as well as the opening/closing of the trunk lid) be causing it? Or simply expansion/contraction of the paint over time? I know it's a tiny flaw but I've put my money, heart and soul into this car and I want to take whatever preventative measures I can to keep it nice for as long as I can. I should also mention that the car never sees water and is garaged for the entirety of the Fall and Winter.

Attachments

• Mustang Crack in Paint.jpg
    Mustang Crack in Paint.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Mustang location of crack in paint.jpg
    Mustang location of crack in paint.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 0
I suspect your right about the possibility of rust. I dunno any other than way than to sand out and repaint the section, same thing happened to me on door post.

It appears that someone has used body filler to smooth the seam between the fender and the panel across the back. There is a seam on both sides that continue forward from the shut line on either side of the trunk. It is not uncommon for rust to form in these seams and the lead the factory used to crack. It may be that the body man spread filler to feather and smooth the area. Also, the inside of the panel across the front of the trunk is a common rust area.

Back