Crate or Rebuilded engine

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always thought crate engines were meant for the ease of getting the car up and running, not cost effectiveness. It seems to me rebuilding yourself would be way cheaper.
Not always...Sometimes some places just have too much stock or a bunch of engines built and need to move them and make room....Sell them cheaper than you can build them your self...Like that motor my freind got..If everything would of been cherry like they said...It would of been a heck of a time and money saver...atleast the parts inside was decent..they did not lie about that...On rebuilding a motor..your time cost too..and if you do not have the time..a crate could be up your alley...But ya..i would stick too a gm or ford crate..something with a warranty.

But if building a hot rod motor..Best to do most of the work your self....Like said above...people start playing the blame wars when something goes bad..Motor builder could say...You did not break it in!! You used wrong oil!! i even heard the excuse you was taking corners too fast and had no windage tray..lol ...My cousin had a motor built and a guy broke off a bit in the cranks oiling hole while tring to put in restrictors...all the time he kept blaming my cousin..saying he was out hot rodding it...well it was a hot rod..but he was not being hard on it..it was not even broke in yet..lol..It kept spinning bearings...Till he figured out what the hell they did wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back