Cup holder

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murstang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
My wife may say the Mustang is too hot with the top up, or too windy on the hiway with the top down, but she can never say it doesnt have cup holders any more! Fabbed this up before a trip a little south for a car show this weekend. Just slips in and out of the ash tray slot. I will make another one that fits the shape of the console better and places the cups further back away from the shifter but it works for now.

2131b.JPG2120b.JPG2127b.JPG

Looks good! I bought a cheapo one from WalMart a few years ago that sits between the full console and the passenger seat. It's handy and stores quickly in the trunk for car shows.

Very cool, nice job!

What gets me is they made my 71 with a front AND rear ashtray but no cup holders. My Toyota truck has 5 cup holders but no ashtray..different times.

Jim

Very cool, nice job!

What gets me is they made my 71 with a front AND rear ashtray but no cup holders. My Toyota truck has 5 cup holders but no ashtray..different times.

Jim
Actually the inside of the dash pocket lid has factory cup holders, but they only work when the car is sitting still! ;)

Actually the inside of the dash pocket lid has factory cup holders, but they only work when the car is sitting still! ;)

I never noticed that, I ran out and checked as soon as I read your post. Now I have a place to sit my beer while I'm working on the interior of the car, thanks!

Jim

Cup Holders.jpgBeer.jpg

I ground a bit of the ashtray holder out of the center console and can now use it to hold one drink- although if it is a tall one the shifter bumps it.

I do not think any cars of this vintage had cup holders. I recall as a kid my parents bought cup holders that clipped onto the window edges of the car. They were easily removed.

I beleive the factory ones did not come out until the mid 1980s. The first Dodge mini van 1984 had pseudo cup holders about as good as the ones the beers are seeing resting on in a Mustang in the picture above. They were about 1/8" deep. The 1986 model year they had deepend them out to a useful 1.5 inches give or take.

And now when I get into my friends Honda Fit, there are EIGHT (8) cup holders, for a maximum of five (5) people that can be seated in the car. Apparently they're aware that sometimes I just need to get another Starbucks before I've finished my current Starbucks.

Back