Custom car color - need painter advice

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don65Stang

Reaction score
My Car
Several.
My son likes the darker blue that's on the pepsi cans and wants his car to look exactly like that color. I have to admit I really like it too. So how do I make a Mach 1 the same color and sheen as the dark blue that's on the regular pepsi cans? It looks like I'd have to paint the car silver first then lightly go over it with the correct color blue. How do I duplicate that color blue?

This can't be too hard; pepsi does it millions of times on their cans every day. :p

Pepsi_Can.jpg

I would say look through the darker blue metallics and find one that matches the pepsi color or contact pepsi and see if they will sell some of their paint.

Don,

Just go to a good paintshop , A "good" paintshop has a digital eye.

They hold the eye against the paint and the computer will tell you how to make that exact paintmatch.

JB

Don,

Could this color be your typical Alloy Blue? Maybe dark anodized alloy blue color. I wonder if someone could anodize a Delorean blue? :D

Just go to a good paintshop , A "good" paintshop has a digital eye.

They hold the eye against the paint and the computer will tell you how to make that exact paintmatch.
This!

Or simply try to drop Pepsi a mail, they might give you the information you need. You never know. Depends on who´s on the other side. I´ve gotten that kind of information from several companies. (including our national airline. They sent me about 10 pages with the exact paint codes and depictions of where what color has to be applied on all the different types of planes.)

You never know!

That´s a cool color by the way!

The Pantone Color (ink) is Pantone 2945C. I work in the Digital Printing arena and deal with this there, not sure how you would equate that to paint, but you can lookup the colorant mix for the Pantone color. I am sure the base coat would also have a lot to do with the final appearance.

Don, as JB said, take it to a paint supplier

You might also have your son look through the color paint chip book, that looks real close to the 71 bright blue met code 6

Ford L6 is Kona Blue. I have it on my '00. It came factory on '10 ^ Mustangs here's a good shot of mine with the sun hitting it just right. It's a really sharp color with nice high/low lights when the lighting is right. Go to your local dealer and check one out.

55818e82.jpg

Oh yea...it's a simple base/clear too, so no worries about candies and such. So repairs would be a cinch if ever needed :)

Just another note...the pepsi cans are more than likely satin aluminum with a semi-transparent candy-type blue...you'd never match that on a car easily.

Also, if you want the color to really "pop" have it sprayed in water, not solvent. The colors tend to be a bit more brilliant and clean. I sprayed mine in solvent and it looks awesome, but isn't quite as clean as the new ones I've seen on lots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto on the translucent candy..Satin silver base with blue candy..Candies are some of the hardest colors to spray when doing a complete. They are not for a beginner or someone who hasn't much experience spraying cars. So you may have to settle for the closet match your supply house can make.

Man, yall keep it up and I'll be ditching the Green for Blue on mine! Obsidian, that blue is sharp on your 2000. Thing is, I like the black Mach stripes... but it might be cool in a short of "subdued" kind of look.
That's the look we're after dark kona blue with black hood & hockey stripes.

Thanks guys for the help. His other consideration is black with argent hood & stripes. That would look killer too! Stay tuned. We should be at a point to paint his car after the new year.

I say go for the Kona Blue...although I'm clearly a bit partial to it :) my car was black and in desperate need of some major bodywork and a paint job when I got it. I was he'll bent on two tone black lower and the burnt orange on the Ram SRT's on top, figured this way I wouldn't have to do the jambs. I was working at a Ford dealership body shop at the time and about 2 weeks before I was gonna paint the car, the owner of the dealership took delivery of his brand new '10 GT, I happened to walk by the car in the detail bay while they were prepping it for him...I stopped dead in my tracks, opened the drivers door and got the paint code. Doing the jambs was well worth it to have the car that color!

Anybody need some Dodge Ram orange??? lol! I mixed up a bunch before I changed my mind! I've Been meaning to use it on my lawn tractor, but haven't had the time :)

I even had my dash already done orange when I changed my mind! I immediately took it back apart, prepped it again, and sprayed it blue!

e8ebde4e.jpg

I dunno, it is a little dark for Tennessee Orange eh Roy? Don may take it for Auburn, hey there you go, pepsi blue and Orange and you can drive it to the Auburn games Don!
Why do you think we like dark blue so much?...to go with the orange Tiger tail hanging out the trunk!

Back