Custom mustang build

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 mach 1 radical custom build
Hi, I just joined this forum to get either support or opposition to my new 71 mach1 custom build. It's a vision I've had for almost 40 years and have decided to tackle. I'm cutting up a 71 that I consider unworthy of a proper resto. A perfect candidate for what I do best. I restored mustangs all years for 10 years but got board of the same thing over and over. That's when I started cutting cars and building hot rod customs. I've had a vision in my head all this time. It's basically a major section and restyling of the car. More intense than goolsby s Pegasus . I feel I got to the point of experience in my life that qualifies me to take on this project , plus I recently retired and turned my shop over to my son. I have one dedicated stall to play. If you guys are receptive ill share progress pics as I go along. I'm 4 weeks into it now and it's starting to take shape. Let me know how you feel. I'm not intending to upset you mustang lovers , rather to inspire you and gain respect for this year strange that is under appreciated. Thanks for any input. I can take good and bad, just ask you give it a chance.

We are pretty much live and let live. It's your mustang and do what you will. Do a search on the reception for 'wide body mustang' and you will see we are not just accepting of wild modifications but we encourage them.

Welcome from Phoenix.

But if I think something is not to my liking I will let you know. Not that I think it is wrong, just not to my taste.. Understand? It doesn't mean I am right. :)

::welcome:: from Luxembourg, Europe.

What you are doing sounds interesting. There's all kinds of people here, those who prefer stock, those who prefer mild and those who prefer radical.

:)

Hi Ray,

and Welcome from Brisbane, Australia.:)

What the guys have said above is true, and i would encourage you to come forward and share your dreams, plans and ideas with the Forum with plenty of good photos as you go. I think a lot of members would find that interesting and enjoyable.::thumb::

Greg.:)

Welcome from West Texas! ::thumb::

Like the others, I'm anxious to see what you're coming up with. I'll admit that I'm more of a "less is more" kind of a guy when it comes to "restyling" and/or "custom build" efforts, but we gotta keep an open mind about these things. On the whole, I think the Pegasus is good for our model years, because it brings more people into the mix... but I can't say I'm thrilled with 'everything' they did to the car (some things just don't always fit right).

But Hey - let's see it! There's tons of knowledge to be had here, and whatever direction your project takes, we'll be here to help and encourage however we can.

Welcome from Ohio

It is your car - build what you like

Don

Welcome to the site from Virginia! I think you will find a great reception to what you have planned. My 73 is all original as I like the nostalgia of it looks and driving it as it was, but I appreciate others ideas as to how to mod our 71/73's.

Hey guys, thanks for the positive attitudes, that's great. I've been slicing and dicing cars for over 40 years. In brief i'll tell ya what I'm doing. I will post pics as soon as I get time to figure this out. I'm not much on the computer. I have cut the car in half all the way through. Took 4" out of the mid section. Left the top full height, no chop. In place of the front springs will be 2500 air bags cuz of the 4" loss in the towers. I shortened the nose 81/2 inches. The rear deck has had the trunk and widow removed. In its place, i'm fabbing a flat rear deck and vertical rear window just behind the seat. Ya pantera style. I'm not trying to replicate a pantera, but it'll resemble one, the roof height will be 42 " no loss in leg room and still enough head room to fit comfortable. I'm eliminating the side styling line for smooth contour. Using a modified led version of stock tail lights , they will be laid at an altered angle. The grill is still in the thought process, with original front and rear bumpers. A completely custom lower front end valance and spoiler. Custom dash, original high backs in leather etc etc. Pics speak a thousand words. I will post pics soon. Thanks again for your responses. When you see pics feel free to comment. I may or may not use suggestions but you are welcome. Great night to all.

Sorry about the misspelled words , not good at typing. Fingers are tired from grinding and welding.

Hard to judge based on what I see so far....
You'll get the chance Steve , ill look forward to it .

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome, can't wait to see the pictures. I love Panteras and 71-73 Mustang so this sounds like an awesome vision!

Back