Cut Pile Carpet For Door Panels

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1973machi

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach I
I'm using the more modern looking cut pile carpet for my 72 Mach I. Does anyone make cut pile for the deluxe door panels or am I going to need an upholstery shop make these? I need black so should be the easiest color to get.

Best bet is getting an upholstery shop to help. You could always try replacing the door panel carpet with a roll of automotive carpet from Auto Zone, or somewhere similar. I used that stuff to cover the package tray (rather than just having a painted piece of thick poster board, like from the factory).

I also went with cut-pile carpet (ACC from CJ Pony Parts) and found some nice cut-pile Mach 1 mats as well. Haven't changed out the door pieces, though - isn't really noticeable enough to bother me, I guess.

interior4.jpg

P82A0008.JPG

Sorry they're so grainy, but they were taken with my 3.2MP flip phone back in 2015.

That looks nice.
Thanks! I'm pretty happy with it. I also ditched the woodgrain in favor of 3M black carbon fiber vinyl, and added some '69 Mustang door badges since there are very few actual indicators of being a Mustang on these cars (plus, I just thought they'd look cool and break-up the door panels a little).

interior1.jpg

interior3.jpg

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with it. I also ditched the woodgrain in favor of 3M black carbon fiber vinyl, and added some '69 Mustang door badges since there are very few actual indicators of being a Mustang on these cars (plus, I just thought they'd look cool and break-up the door panels a little).

View attachment 65702

View attachment 65703
few indicators? Mine has Mustang on the centerstack, steering wheel, gas cap, grill, 3 scripts , and all 4 wheels... My 88 fox body vert has "1" and it's embossed on the hood insulator :) And the 72 doesn't say "FORD" once as opposed to the 88 7 times throughout... You can tell they were torn in marketing when the Probe was trying to takeover...

few indicators? Mine has Mustang on the centerstack, steering wheel, gas cap, grill, 3 scripts , and all 4 wheels... My 88 fox body vert has "1" and it's embossed on the hood insulator :) And the 72 doesn't say "FORD" once as opposed to the 88 7 times throughout... You can tell they were torn in marketing when the Probe was trying to takeover...
The carbon fiber is a nice touch tho ...

Thanks! The only indicators of 'Mustang' on mine were the two full size 'Mach 1' decals, and the tri-bar in the front grille... oh, and the running horse on the high beam indicator and steering wheel center pad (which mine was shot and replaced with a Grant GT during the restomod process). The door sills have 'Ford' decals on them, but they fell off shortly after I applied them. Otherwise, that was it - I guess Ford was wanting the Mach 1s to stand apart from the Mustangs, and it seems to have worked somewhat since more people seem to think ALL '71-'73s are Mach 1s, and not as much Mustangs with different model variants.

My '82 GL had 2 'Ford' badges (one on the grille - which I removed - and one on the hatch lid), along with a single 'Mustang GL' badge on the other side of the hatch lid, and a single tri-bar on the horn button (that went away when I swapped for a Grant GT Challenger wheel), and a tri-bar medallion on the hood - that was it from the factory. Since it was the late '80s, and it was my first car, I went nuts at Pep Boys, getting some center hub tri-bar medallions (wheels), door handle 'Mustang' emblems, key hole scratch guards with running horses, some nice embroidered floor mats, and epoxied some tri-bar badges from my friend's '66 to the same early model fender locations on mine - along with a custom eyebrow logo and some lettering on the Dobi I-lid headlight covers (which were actually good for another 2mpg at highway speeds). When the '87s came out with the 'Mustang' logos inlaid in the quarter window glass, I cut out a pair of leftover alloy decals from something else I'd bought and placed them in the lower corners of my quarter windows. Apparently, I was a Rice Boy before it was cool, having gone to the box parts store with the crap magnet on full power, and you'd think it would be pretty gawdy by description... but my little 4-cylinder Fox-body was a cool car despite it all.

Mustang2.jpg

I'd learned how to do window tint, custom vinyl striping & lettering, and all sorts of other little 'detail' stuff like that, and even the guys with the other much cooler cars (like the '66 Nova II and '69 GTO also seen in the pic) had me tint their windows and do other things to their cars. And Yes, the dent came with the car, and No, I never learned how to do body work when I had that car. :cool:

Thanks! The only indicators of 'Mustang' on mine were the two full size 'Mach 1' decals, and the tri-bar in the front grille... oh, and the running horse on the high beam indicator and steering wheel center pad (which mine was shot and replaced with a Grant GT during the restomod process). The door sills have 'Ford' decals on them, but they fell off shortly after I applied them. Otherwise, that was it - I guess Ford was wanting the Mach 1s to stand apart from the Mustangs, and it seems to have worked somewhat since more people seem to think ALL '71-'73s are Mach 1s, and not as much Mustangs with different model variants.

My '82 GL had 2 'Ford' badges (one on the grille - which I removed - and one on the hatch lid), along with a single 'Mustang GL' badge on the other side of the hatch lid, and a single tri-bar on the horn button (that went away when I swapped for a Grant GT Challenger wheel), and a tri-bar medallion on the hood - that was it from the factory. Since it was the late '80s, and it was my first car, I went nuts at Pep Boys, getting some center hub tri-bar medallions (wheels), door handle 'Mustang' emblems, key hole scratch guards with running horses, some nice embroidered floor mats, and epoxied some tri-bar badges from my friend's '66 to the same early model fender locations on mine - along with a custom eyebrow logo and some lettering on the Dobi I-lid headlight covers (which were actually good for another 2mpg at highway speeds). When the '87s came out with the 'Mustang' logos inlaid in the quarter window glass, I cut out a pair of leftover alloy decals from something else I'd bought and placed them in the lower corners of my quarter windows. Apparently, I was a Rice Boy before it was cool, having gone to the box parts store with the crap magnet on full power, and you'd think it would be pretty gawdy by description... but my little 4-cylinder Fox-body was a cool car despite it all.

Mustang2.jpg

I'd learned how to do window tint, custom vinyl striping & lettering, and all sorts of other little 'detail' stuff like that, and even the guys with the other much cooler cars (like the '66 Nova II and '69 GTO also seen in the pic) had me tint their windows and do other things to their cars. And Yes, the dent came with the car, and No, I never learned how to do body work when I had that car. :cool:
Forgot the red pony hi beam and the 2 door sill ford logos :)

Back