Cutting quarter off a car without destroying it.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DamageLn

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1
2001 Ford Mustang Cobra
2006 S281 Saleen
As the subject says... I am replacing my quarter panel with one I recently purchased. However there has been interest with the one on my car. Is there any hope of cutting this thing off at the roof joint etc without mangling it beyond hope?

The one I cut was easy as it wasn't attached to a complete vehicle. Any advice from those who have done this on a 71 would be greatly appreciated.

Stay away from heat! no torches! Cut off wheels and spot weld drill and lots and lots of patience... Personally I would not waste the time. It is hard enough to get them off without making a mess of your car. Any cutting you can do to ensure a good surface for your new panel is well worth the money you will get for the old panel.

As the subject says... I am replacing my quarter panel with one I recently purchased. However there has been interest with the one on my car. Is there any hope of cutting this thing off at the roof joint etc without mangling it beyond hope?

The one I cut was easy as it wasn't attached to a complete vehicle. Any advice from those who have done this on a 71 would be greatly appreciated.
You can get it off pretty much perfect..The rear window needs to come out.....at the roof joint you need to melt out the lead seam..otr window needs to come out as does the rear seat..rear interior side panel..bumper..taillight..You need to drill out the spot welds with a blair spot weld driller..start at the rear body panel..& work your way foreward ...lots of tedious pain in the neck work...

Last edited by a moderator:
@Qcode351mach - The car is completely gutted. No glass, no interior, wiring, or anything. The rear body and filler panels are out as is the trunk floor. I'm more worried about the 2 panels sandwiched over the quarter at the roof. The roof doesn't seem to be the problem but the inner quarter is the trick without destroying that. I'f there were no interest in the panel coming off my car I would just trim the skin off so I can access all the areas welded nicely and move forward.

I appreciate the replies everyone. I plan to get on this weekend!

You can get it off pretty much perfect..The rear window needs to come out.....at the roof joint you need to melt out the lead seam..otr window needs to come out as does the rear seat..rear interior side panel..bumper..taillight..You need to drill out the spot welds with a blair spot weld driller..start at the rear body panel..& work your way foreward ...lots of tedious pain in the neck work...

...at the roof joint you need to melt out the lead seam..
About what temperature would you say the solder gives way? Any danger of warping the panel in the process?

-Kurt
The lead melts fast so no danger of warping the metal if you just melt it and pull the heat...have a wire brush close

Back