D1ZE 4v heads ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach 1
I got these rebuilt D1ZE-DA 4V heads for my motor..And was having a bit of a time looking them up...They have bigger valves than my late cleveland q code heads "confirmed today with a tape measure" Most things that pop up when i look them up is 351 boss or 302 boss replacement heads?..Figured Don or one of you guys mite be able to tell me for sure..No matter what they going on my car..hehe..Just wondering what they was from?

motorparts7.JPG

motorparts4.JPG

motorparts8.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are 71' CJ heads. A lot harder to find than the closed chambered ones. Check this out:

http://mustangtek.com/heads/Heads.html
Thanks man...Yup that seems to be them...i was wondering what was up with the open chambers and being a 71 head....They got question marks next too them on the site?..lol

Unconfirmed Application.

Information may or may not be complete or accurate. The information provided cannot be validated or the information has not been validated from actual publications.Take it for what its worth.

Unknown or incomplete Application.

No information on the part has been found. At best, the information listed is one persons hearsay or an educated guess.

So they not sure? lol

Those are 71' CJ heads. A lot harder to find than the closed chambered ones. Check this out:

http://mustangtek.com/heads/Heads.html
Thanks man...Yup that seems to be them...i was wondering what was up with the open chambers and being a 71 head.lol...They got question marks next too them on the site?..lol

Unconfirmed Application.

Information may or may not be complete or accurate. The information provided cannot be validated or the information has not been validated from actual publications.Take it for what its worth.

Unknown or incomplete Application.

No information on the part has been found. At best, the information listed is one persons hearsay or an educated guess.

So they not sure? lol
Yeah its kind of goofy that they would say that, but I read somewhere else about the 71' CJ heads had the bigger valves with open chambers. What are the date codes on these?

Ritchie is correct in stating or inferring that the 1971 4V Open Chambered ("Q" Coded) heads on our Mustangs are rarer than the Closed chambered ("M" Coded) heads for 1971 as there were less than 150 "Q" coded Mustangs built in 1971 while there were over 19,000 "M" Coded Mustangs built in 1971.

Keep in mind that the closed (Quench) chambered Mustangs had a higher compression ratio than the open chambered heads. It would appear that most of the "Q" coded mustangs were built in late 1971. In 1972, the "M" coded (closed chambered heads) were no longer offered but the "Q" coded (Open chambered) heads were produced to the tune of over 10,000 in 1972 and over 12,000 in 1973 in our Mustangs.

BT

Ritchie is correct in stating or inferring that the 1971 4V Open Chambered ("Q" Coded) heads on our Mustangs are rarer than the Closed chambered ("M" Coded) heads for 1971 as there were less than 150 "Q" coded Mustangs built in 1971 while there were over 19,000 "M" Coded Mustangs built in 1971.

Keep in mind that the closed (Quench) chambered Mustangs had a higher compression ratio than the open chambered heads. It would appear that most of the "Q" coded mustangs were built in late 1971. In 1972, the "M" coded (closed chambered heads) were no longer offered but the "Q" coded (Open chambered) heads were produced to the tune of over 10,000 in 1972 and over 12,000 in 1973 in our Mustangs.

BT
Thanks for that info...Hell...They even rarer than Boss heads..lol..in 71 that is...I'll take of the valve covers tomarrow if i get the time and check out dates.

Mike: Please post a pic of the date codes on each of the '71 4V open chamber heads. :)

I've researched the 71 4V closed and 71-72 4V open heads in the past didn't come across any 71 specific 4V open heads. To the best of my knowledge the D1ZE (both DA & GT version) heads were for the 71 and 72 model Q-code engines. Seems like there were only 500 or so of the 71 Q-codes made if I remember the Marti statistic correctly. The 71 Q-codes were made in May, June and July only. I know for a fact that M-codes were made as late as mid June 1971. I don't know the date when the first Q-code was produced.

Pat & Mike: The late 73 4V heads had smaller valves: 2.05" and 1.66", which coincidentally is the same as the 2V head.

Other info about this topic...

71 M-code: 300hp, closed chamber heads 2.19" & 1.77" valves, cast flat top pistons, 10.7:1 compression, Cam: 266, 270; .427, .427; 14-72-70-20; 34 overlap.

71 Q-code: 280hp, open heads, cast flat top pistons, appx 9.1:1 compression, Cam: 270, 290; .480, .488; 18-72-82-28; 46 overlap.

72 Q-code: 266hp, open heads, cast flat top pistons, appx 9.1:1 compression, slightly different cam from the 71Q and 4 degrees retarded, Cam: 270, 290; .480, .488; 14-76-78-32; 46 overlap.

73 Q-code: I don't have accurate info so I'm not going to speculate with what I think is correct...except for the valve size for late 73s is smaller.

I have a set of these 71 open chamber heads. Did not realize they were that rare. I would like to trade them for a set of 351 4v exhaust manifolds if possible.

They are bare with no cracks.

I am in the St. Louis area but like road trips to meet new people and to trade parts.

Thanks!

Paul of MO

I don't know that they are all that rare. The D1ZE is the same casting number that was used on both the 71 and 72 Q-code engines. The date code on each head provides additional information.

Didn't want to bump this up, but the D1ZE-DA is not rare at all. As Don pointed out, they were used in the Q through the entirety of 1972 in addition to '71. Just pulled this one from a very late 1972 Q-code (June 1972 build date on the car, IIRC - need to check the head):

28iak4n.jpg

-Kurt

Didn't want to bump this up, but the D1ZE-DA is not rare at all. As Don pointed out, they were used in the Q through the entirety of 1972 in addition to '71. Just pulled this one from a very late 1972 Q-code (June 1972 build date on the car, IIRC - need to check the head):

Kurt
They can be rare..If!! They are early 71 heads open's..only 150 made during 1971 " I was told " If you got 1972 q code with the same D1ZE opens well 10,000 made during 72...It all matters with the date code.

As cobra stated earlier in the thread " Ritchie is correct in stating or inferring that the 1971 4V Open Chambered ("Q" Coded) heads on our Mustangs are rarer than the Closed chambered ("M" Coded) heads for 1971 as there were less than 150 "Q" coded Mustangs built in 1971 while there were over 19,000 "M" Coded Mustangs built in 1971.

They can be rare..If!! They are early 71 heads open's..only 150 made during 1971 " I was told " If you got 1972 q code with the same D1ZE opens well 10,000 made during 72...It all matters with the date code.
By date code, yes - though I'd bet that production of 1971 Q heads outnumber 1971-VIN'ed Q-code Mustangs. At least some of those ~10,000 D1ZE-DA heads produced for the 1972 model year would have been produced with 1971 date codes for early 1972 Q-codes built in '71.

Obviously, M-code heads will outnumber them by date code, but if you don't mind what's under your valve cover, a 1972-dated D1ZE-DA will be identical to a 1971-dated D1ZE-DA 4V open-chamber head - at least, that's what I'm inferring from the tech specs.

-Kurt

By date code, yes - though I'd bet that production of 1971 Q heads outnumber 1971-VIN'ed Q-code Mustangs. At least some of those ~10,000 D1ZE-DA heads produced for the 1972 model year would have been produced with 1971 date codes for early 1972 Q-codes built in '71.

Obviously, M-code heads will outnumber them by date code, but if you don't mind what's under your valve cover, a 1972-dated D1ZE-DA will be identical to a 1971-dated D1ZE-DA 4V open-chamber head - at least, that's what I'm inferring from the tech specs.

-Kurt
Yes..no diff...the diff is the date codes...which on restoring a super rare early 71 q code open 351.."1 one only 150 ish made" That guy will be the only one seeing a value in these rare heads..But good to know if you do run into some early D1ZE heads..They are hard to come by with early codes.

Back