DAMN DOOR PANEL CLIPS -- HELP

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tricksixtyfive

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
351c fmx trans, 2013 kona blue pearl
I installed new door panels and everything went smooth (for the most part i realize now aftermarket door panels suck), trim on check, door cups, check, pull handles check, put door panel on car....FAIL. I cant get those damn little clips go snap in to the holes to save my life i got about 4 or 5 on each door in, but the rest just will now go in , i got them lined up right,,,Help is there a trick to this.. I so frustrated... I cant get those suckers to snap in!!!

Are you using old clips or new clips? If they are new they could be just very rigid. may need to take them off the door and flex them some. If you are using old clips they may be too flimsy and wont hold in place. If you can get the tips of the clips lined up in the holes to get them started, try a small round piece of wood over the door clip from the panel side. be gentle but smack the wood and hope you can jam the clips in. Mine we very stiff at first but that trick worked.

also, make sure that the clips are actually going in straight. If you put the clips in the wrong direction on the panel they will look really close, but won't be lining up just right and won't go in.

Those clips never worked that great. The fiberboard backing to the panel usually split out where the clips were supposed to attach.

Velcro is a very efficient alternative.

Ray

Replace them with the plastic "tree" clips that newer cars use... they are easier to install and remove, and are less likely to damage the door panel when removing.

ford%20interior%20door%20panel%20clip%20.gif

Now that is a great idea that I am going to try. Those clips have always been a giant pain but if I can slip the heads of the plastic ones behind the fiberboard without too much dimpling on the outside of the panel, it will be an excellent solution. Do you have a part number for the ones that you used?

The tree clips look like the best idea Velcro in a few spots Is good 2 where can i get the tree clips ?? Pep boys auto stores

Even with new clips I could not get my repro door panels to line up with the holes, so I went the double side tape way. Stick it to the panel, pull off the paper and push em against the door, done.

It's redneck engineering but it was the only way I could pull it off without major doses of tranquilizers.

Even with new clips I could not get my repro door panels to line up with the holes, so I went the double side tape way. Stick it to the panel, pull off the paper and push em against the door, done.

It's redneck engineering but it was the only way I could pull it off without major doses of tranquilizers.
Easy on the rednecks:mad:

Easy on the rednecks:mad:
Are there Rednecks in Europe? :huh:

You forgot to mention JB Weld. :D
I had an outboard motor that had a skeg fin repaired & a prop blade formed where they broke 1 off! It stayed on for years! :huh:

True redneck engineering involves bailing wire or duct dape and maybe a few strategicly placed hose clamps :~}
Hey! I resemble that!
I do also, and proud of it!

In college I drove a 90 Nissan pickup. Coming home one night from a bar I decided, in my great frame of mind, that my speedometer needle was bent down and sticking. It seemed like a good time to fix it, so I dissembled my dash, reached in to bend it up and the SOB broke. I quickly grabbed the nub to keep it from unwinding and started looking for something to fix it.

Next to me was a big hamburger with a large toothpick through the middle and a loaf of bread. I broke the toothpick down to size and used the bread twisty to hold it on. There it stayed (w/ mustard stain on tip) and worked perfectly for the next 10 years. Then I got married and the new wife could not get over the fact she had married a genius and so I had it properly repaired.

Back