Danish Mustang “Pro-Touring" project - Creator 526

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And now I have moved on to the firewall, my plan here is to make a smooth and clean firewall, yeah my plan is actually to smooth and clean the entire engine bay and make it look nice.. but today it was the firewall I worked on, I made the panel the way I wanted it, made it fit into the place where I cut the old one out, attacted it with some weldings and tomorrow I will finish it.. here are some pictures of my work today :D

525482FC-2FDB-4CDB-9872-671C88D116B2.jpeg

877A9ACD-CBB5-4AEB-88A5-71CD6D9FF3CC.jpeg

22AD46B9-9EE7-4434-9589-0E2DEF7F0201.jpeg

2AAACD02-A9A1-49D3-BBED-F21301B8C5D5.jpeg

5CDB6F84-54B4-46F4-A79F-6312727A027E.jpeg

AF8CBB8F-9F7A-44E0-95CF-3DBE93BAF110.jpeg

I am allmost done with the enginebay, just waiting for a new motor for the compressor so I can make it work again and blast the enginebay with sand and get it primed!

While waiting on that I started my third brakelight project that will be placed on the roof. It will be build from fiberglass and foam as my 2 splitted rear spoiler are. The pictures shows as far as I am in the process right now, I hope you can see my idea. I cant wait to see how this will end up finished, I’m looking forward to it, I just love building custom parts, stay tuned :D

1A2EEDCF-E007-4871-A57C-45D7665B82A5.jpeg

57649F5B-E57E-423D-88D4-2C5C05C40A59.jpeg

80CC51F5-3BC2-442B-92EF-4A0B948C0437.jpeg

45307D65-77B1-4856-AE10-673650BCB038.jpeg

D5B3F7AB-B482-47C7-9CE6-87A7D34608D6.jpeg

0303CE9B-2231-433F-88D6-B21A52FF3A5A.jpeg

9B5C16F2-B874-4E94-A942-04FB03A4941F.jpeg

2D2867C2-8A2A-41AA-9718-4D034ED53C59.jpeg

3DCBC83E-A3CC-44C5-ABA8-C286BB19366A.jpeg

CAC222C3-9E3B-4F1C-9BAF-6B8231B3FB36.jpeg

8F12CB5F-6EB7-4010-A68F-8B9EBF8299E6.jpeg

D2970B31-B208-411B-A975-910FA8573614.jpeg

Made some more adjusments to my third brakelight panel today, damn I like it so far! I also started sandblasting the doors, there is something satisfying about blasting a 46 year old door there is in allmost perfect condition! Will continue with the enginebay and inside of the car tomorrow if the weather is good :D

077F40A3-70A1-4A43-ACEF-B55F77D6C372.jpeg

1261279F-607B-4E05-B1CB-AA9F64433BA1.jpeg

E888CCC4-F81E-447F-82AF-09326BB9CD1E.jpeg

7E9D8999-E1C1-4526-A59C-C81F78AA2B1A.jpeg

8610928D-E0AE-4E58-BB6C-F9007A4BB066.jpeg

801D7D07-440B-48C8-BFA1-713202D59FA6.jpeg

Car is coming along beautifully buddy.

Wow, being busy these days, missed your updates. Some impressive progress!

One little detail:

The third light resin has bubbles. These can (and they will soon or later) expand when exposed to sun light/heat and they'll ruin your surface.

When you'll sand it straight, you might also pop one of them open or end up with a thin layer on top of one.

Considering the enormous amount of work you put on the car and the love involved. Personally I'd consider it as a buck,

and press one out of a 1mm alu sheet instead using this one as a ref.

No doubt the work on the 3rd brake light is of high quality crafstmanship, but why not just flip it over and put it inside the car and mount it flush to the glass?
yeah it takes a lot of time to create things like that from the bottom up, but it’s worth it in the end, I like to make things that you cant buy anywhere :) my idea was to put something on the roof to make a new look and something you dont see on these cars. So a panel that are functional with a brakelight built into it worked perfect for me. This third brakelight will have a different color than the body, I think it will look nice. :D

Wow, being busy these days, missed your updates. Some impressive progress!

One little detail:

The third light resin has bubbles. These can (and they will soon or later) expand when exposed to sun light/heat and they'll ruin your surface.

When you'll sand it straight, you might also pop one of them open or end up with a thin layer on top of one.

Considering the enormous amount of work you put on the car and the love involved. Personally I'd consider it as a buck,

and press one out of a 1mm alu sheet instead using this one as a ref.
thanks man! I actually think it’s non impressive progress, damn it’s a slow process!

A big thanks for the great advices, I really appreciate that! As for the bubbles, are you sure that it’s not just the bubbles them selves that are in the foam you are thinking about? You can see thru the resin and fiberglass and see the foam underneith. But I will take your advice to me and look close for more bubbles. Thanks again. The alu sheet was also a nice idea. But I actually like to work with this fiberglass, you can also change something if it isnt as you want it :D

I really appreciate that! As for the bubbles, are you sure that it’s not just the bubbles them selves that are in the foam you are thinking about? The alu sheet was also a nice idea. But I actually like to work with this fiberglass, you can also change something if it isnt as you want it :D
As I have great respect for those daring making their own parts, it's hard to write a remark as I did without hurting feelings. So really, I'm glad you see the constructive side of it.

When I've moved in this country a zillion years ago and started at zero. I've worked in a polyester company, making canoes and all kind of composites parts as a side activity while learning that weird language that is Dutch to find a job.

All that to say that I know a bit what trapped air can do. Hence why lots of parts were cured under vacuum. I let u decide if the bubbles are real or not. Just warning you in case they are real and near of top surface.

About the aluminium sheet, I did not extend, but while you could make it out of aluminum, I was thinking of pressing the shape to make a mould, you'd then have a perfect curve and smooth surface and then using gelcoat first, then resin no worries for bubbles and a whole lot less work to get your part as you want it.

Using plywood/mdf bigger than your sheet and have bolts do the hard work. Depending on shapes, the art is to find the ideal space between the two.

Here a quick and dirty illustration of what I'd do.

The scoop in front would be similar pressed process and be then bolted to the piece to allow easy removal of the part once cured.

using a sheet as thin as you can find, you would not need much pressure to get the shape I see.

I really appreciate that! As for the bubbles, are you sure that it’s not just the bubbles them selves that are in the foam you are thinking about? The alu sheet was also a nice idea. But I actually like to work with this fiberglass, you can also change something if it isnt as you want it :D
As I have great respect for those daring making their own parts, it's hard to write a remark as I did without hurting feelings. So really, I'm glad you see the constructive side of it.

When I've moved in this country a zillion years ago and started at zero. I've worked in a polyester company, making canoes and all kind of composites parts as a side activity while learning that weird language that is Dutch to find a job.

All that to say that I know a bit what trapped air can do. Hence why lots of parts were cured under vacuum. I let u decide if the bubbles are real or not. Just warning you in case they are real and near of top surface.

About the aluminium sheet, I did not extend, but while you could make it out of aluminum, I was thinking of pressing the shape to make a mould, you'd then have a perfect curve and smooth surface and then using gelcoat first, then resin no worries for bubbles and a whole lot less work to get your part as you want it.

Using plywood/mdf bigger than your sheet and have bolts do the hard work. Depending on shapes, the art is to find the ideal space between the two.

Here a quick and dirty illustration of what I'd do.

The scoop in front would be similar pressed process and be then bolted to the piece to allow easy removal of the part once cured.

using a sheet as thin as you can find, you would not need much pressure to get the shape I see.

Yeah it’s not allways easy to find the right way to write the things without hurting feeling, but you did’nt do that to me. If I can do anything better I’m allways open for advices and if there are anything I can do better, so thanks my friend :)

I’m really glad for you’re warning me, I have been thinking about making this panel as a kind of mold and maybe make it in carbonfiber instead and then ofcourse use a vacuum machine to do the job correctly, but I have’nt made my decision yet. But I will deffently keep in mind what you are saying and I’m glad that you are telling me those things, I appreciate that! :) 

The idea with the aluminumsheet are very good and I see the idea in using a product with a smooth surface.

Because the resin is so thick the bubbles escape slower than the resin hardens, so it's difficult to get the bubbles out that stirring the resin and hardner adds to it. Placing it in a vacuum helps

http://secondchancegarage.com/public4/casting-taillights-1.cfm
You are deffently right. Thanks for the link, it’s actually perfect because I need to make my own taillight lenses too :D

Took all the front suspension off again. I needed to blast some areas, finish up some weldings and just clean everything out so it will be ready for a rust preventing primer in the next couple of days. After that my plan is too smooth everything out to get the look that I want. For final choice of color it will have the same charcoal as the wheels and with a matte clear on, I think that will look amazing!

Have done a lot of work to the engine bay and I think this is fine now :D

3D81BBD2-96ED-4A81-BC49-C66A39B6AA77.jpeg

C25C6A28-ABC4-47E5-9408-A7AA2D2BD675.jpeg

B3AA70D3-DBAF-437F-89DD-C7BF7838DC57.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back