Dash bezel questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1, Grabber Blue w/Argent stripes. Original 2V 351C Auto, Tilt, rear defog, Black Comfortweave Interior. Under restoration. Original colors, 4V 351C, 4-Speed, Spoilers, Magnums, Ram Air. All Ford parts.
Hello,

Now that the bulk is over I am moving on to the pretty stuff.

1) Probably more for parts suppliers and vendors, but, are all the replacement dash bezels with the chrome, black, wood grain etc made by the same manufacturer?  In other words, is there one set of the mold tooling for reproduction bezels out there and everyone else is the distribution chain?

2) Is the wood grain decal for the center stack bezel available anywhere today?  I saw them a few years ago but cannot find them today.  I was going to try to freshen up one of my originals if I could find that decal.

Has anyone else noticed that is costs about 10-15 dollars more to send our bezels to a restoration place for re metallization, paint and decals than it does for the repo?

kcmash

It is true costs more to redo old than to buy the new. I restore consoles and have never found a paint, model car pen or tape that works on the chrome. I do not know on the molds I would expect there is one set costs too much to make duplicates. Not Ford tooling I do not think. The post for the speed nuts around the glove box never fit. Posts too small you can just wrap electrical tape to make fit.

I looked into doing center section. The quote I got from Vacuum Orna-Metal in Michigan (I think) was about the same as a repop, difference being I know the original will fit.

Check out www.vacuumorna-metal.com

Yep I asked them for a quote.  Still have not seen the email.

The verbal quote is about $255.  I found a deal on a repro for about $195.  That’s what triggered my questions.  Vendors vary about $45 on the reproduction center bezel.  So does OMS have the same unit as CJ and NPD as well as Classic Industries and others?

I was going to try the chrome pinstripe tape for borders and put a new wood grain decal on my center stack, but I cannot find the wood grain. 

kcmash

Yep I asked them for a quote.  Still have not seen the email.

The verbal quote is about $255.  I found a deal on a repro for about $195.  That’s what triggered my questions.  Vendors vary about $45 on the reproduction center bezel.  So does OMS have the same unit as CJ and NPD as well as Classic Industries and others?

I was going to try the chrome pinstripe tape for borders and put a new wood grain decal on my center stack, but I cannot find the wood grain. 

kcmash
On mine, I decided to add a set of aftermarket gauges and built my own center stack using a factory gauge part, keeping my original safe and sound in a box. As the speedo cluster has no chrome around the gauges, I just painted the chrome strips black, which for this, looks way better. I did try chrome paints and tape, but decided it looked terrible.

Question of the day.  Is it possible to replace the passengers side bezel without removing the dash.  Can I remove the glove box assembly and access all the fasteners?

just trying to plan my pain.....

kcmash

Question of the day.  Is it possible to replace the passengers side bezel without removing the dash.  Can I remove the glove box assembly and access all the fasteners?

just trying to plan my pain.....

kcmash
Yes you can.  I don't think you even need to take the glove boxout if my memory is right but it will make it easier.

Back