Dash Light Reflection

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Sportsroof Bright Red.

Needing some input from the wise ones out there.  Have a light reflection in the speed odometer housing.  Looks like it might be coming from the odometer reset shaft area but I'm not quick for sure.  I am finishing off the dash rebuild and have upgraded the dash lights to led's. 

Has anyone had this issue and what is the fix.   Don't want to take apart until I have an idea of how to resolve the problem.  

Edit - I know what light is causing the problem. It is the lower left in the odometer as you face the dash. Just don't know what it is reflecting off of to cause that. Doesn't do it with the standard bulb.

Reflection at top.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never seen that before, even after brighter LED's with old defusers .

If you have your dash pad still off you could, with your lights on, reach behind the cluster and start taking one bulb out at a time to find out which one is causing the reflection. It kind of looks like it's coming from the opposite side of where the reflection is...!?

I changed mine to LED's as well but don't have any reflection.

If you have your dash pad still off you could, with your lights on, reach behind the cluster and start taking one bulb out at a time to find out which one is causing the reflection. It kind of looks like it's coming from the opposite side of where the reflection is...!?

I know which led it is.  The lower left when you are facing the front of odometer.  I have put the regular bulb back in and no problem.  I have figured out that it is the one diode on the end of the led that is causing it.  Just can't figure out what it is reflecting off of in the housing to cause it.  I still have the blue lenses in.  The dash is out on my stand.  Was hoping to find a fix before I pull the dash apart.  I can always block the end of the led if I have to but would prefer not to.  

What type of leds are you using?   Maybe I need to switch brands. I'm don't care if they are not dimmable.

I know which led it is.  The lower left when you are facing the front of odometer.  I have put the regular bulb back in and no problem.  I have figured out that it is the one diode on the end of the led that is causing it.  Just can't figure out what it is reflecting off of in the housing to cause it.  I still have the blue lenses in.  The dash is out on my stand.  Was hoping to find a fix before I pull the dash apart.  I can always block the end of the led if I have to but would prefer not to.  

What type of leds are you using?   Maybe I need to switch brands.  I'm don't care if they are not dimmable.
Got the Elite 2 Series (Dimmable) from Hi-Po Parts.com his name is Bill, very helpful guy!

What type of leds are you using?   Maybe I need to switch brands.  I'm don't care if they are not dimmable.
Got the Elite 2 Series (Dimmable) from Hi-Po Parts.com his name is Bill, very helpful guy!
 Weird for sure! No idea what that is as I don't have the problem either.

+1 on the Elite series 2 from Hi-Po.

Geoff.

Back