Dash Upgrade

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Sportsroof Bright Red.

Hi,

I am upgrading my base model dash on my 71 Fastback.  I am adding the RH bezel and glove box trim.    I have purchased a new instrument bezel and rh trim.  I am using original center and glove box door trim.    What is the best way to touch up the chrome trim around the  bezels?  Short of buying new or having sent out to be restore (arm & a leg) is there an inexpensive fix to get the chrome plating fixed.   What about chrome vinyl tape?

Thanks,

Kilgon

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some old posts on this, do a search. I think most folks favour chrome vinyl tape to touch up chrome bits. In the factory the whole panel was sprayed chrome and then the inner bits sprayed black, so you would need to replicate this if you want to go original. I know there are repro parts avasilable but not sure if they are cheaper or more cost effective than doing the work yourself....

There are some old posts on this, do a search. I think most folks favour chrome vinyl tape to touch up chrome bits. In the factory the whole panel was sprayed chrome and then the inner bits sprayed black, so you would need to replicate this if you want to go original. I know there are repro parts avasilable but not sure if they are cheaper or more cost effective than doing the work yourself....
I have searched but most are for sending out to restore.  Hate to spend $100 on a repro piece when all I need is 4" of chrome redone.  Have tried several different tapes now but no luck.  They don't work well when doing the bends. 

Picked up some new scotch tape type chrome tape yesterday but haven't given it a try yet.  I found Alsa Corp Easy Chrome on the web.  Seems to be some pretty neat stuff but to expensive for what I want.  It shame they don't make a kit for around $50 or less.  I sent them a email but haven't heard anything back.  If I find something that works well I'll let you know and will post back here.

Thanks for your reply.

I remember using a chrome paint that came in a small bottle with a brush.

Although it was not as bright nor had a shine like the original. It is true they

were all painted chrome then black over. What a waste of paint but doing

detail work like painting the little rings was probably costly.

mike

Oh that "chrome" trim! On Plastic, it is in fact vacuum metal coated, a process where pure aluminum is atomized in a vacuum which in turn attaches to the plastic. I do not know the entire process, but that's it in a nut shell. On metal parts it is good old chrome plating. 

There are some very good spray on types, but way too expensive for just small parts from what I found when looking to redo some of my dash parts. Paints sold as "Chrome" are imo very poor. I actually fell for some crud on Ebay selling "Chrome" paint in a stick. In fact he was selling a 'kit' comprising of a black, white and "chrome" paint stick. Turned out to be just a silver paint stick. I complained and he offered a refund, but would have cost as much to mail it back. I have found a use for the silver paint to mark my winter tires when I take them off in Spring!

Faced with the same dilemma, I just painted it all black with SEM Trim Black #39143. The car I have has a basic interior, no "chrome" trim around the speedo etc. so in fact I think it looks better without the chrome trim.

Just my thought on it.

Geoff.

There's another product called Spaz Stix, 3 steps, glossy black, chrome, clear. Applied by airbrush.

I've got the same problem, bad sections in my dash chrome.

I ordered some from Amazon, so I'll let you know in a few days. Reviews on it are OK, seems most of the bad outcomes are caused by users not following instructions, preparation and application.

Hey Don, please let me know how it turns out. I found some other paint that seems pretty impressive by Alsa corp. Has anyone had any experience with them. Their website is https://alsacorp.com. They have a paint called Easy Chrome. If you go to their web site it is listed on the left hand side. I'm thinking about getting their Hobby Kit and giving it a try if the Spaz Stix that Don is trying doesn't turn out to well. It's a little pricey but if it does the job it would be well worth it.

I'm in the same situation i.e. does a guy buy replacement parts or paint and deal with the chrome trim problem. Real interested in how some of the options for the chrome turn out......

This is a update on this post for touching up chrome.  Been meaning to do this for about a month now.  I went ahead and purchased the Spaz Stix 3 part chrome kit from Amazon for $28.  Before using I read and viewed several articles and videos on it's application.  

Following these instructions I applied to the edge of the glove box door bezel.  The results were less than what I was expecting.  See attached picture of dash.  Thinking I may not have  gotten a solid enough coat of the black backer I tried again on a test piece.  Should have done first but didn't want to waste any.  The test was a little better but still lack the true chrome look results.  After a 3rd attempt I gotten a test piece to look fairly good.  

I applied clear coat as instructed.  During this process it dulled the finish.  It states to use several very light coats to keep this from happening.  I am using a air brush and could not have gotten any lighter without not putting any clear on what so ever.  My verdict on Spaz - If you do not have anything close by to compare to than it would work provided you are not looking for a mirror finish. 

I still was needing to touch up several other areas on the center bezel and redo the glove box door.  I had read on one of the earlier post on chrome products about Molotow Liquid Chrome paint marker.  I went ahead and purchased one from my local hobby center.  FYI - I paid $13 but Amazon has it for $9.50. 

I was amazed how well it blended in with the chrome around it.  Although it is not a dead match it is definitely close and a lot better than the Spaz Stix.  It also has a shine to it.  Attached are a few pictures of the center bezel and the before and after area I touched up. The after is brighter than what it appears in the picture. Kind of hard to see but it does blends in well and is hard to tell that it is has been touch up  I think for small areas this is a very good solution.  My verdict on Molotow - Great for small area touch ups.  Blends fairly well.

I was thinking about trying the Easy Chrome from alsacorp but the price is kind of high.  If I do down the road I will follow up with the results.

For now I will use the Molotow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back