Deciding on WHeels

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang Mach 1
302-2v
C4

Ive been thinking about wheels for a while now.

I a bit fuzzy on the difference between Torque Thrust Original, Torque Thrust D, and Torque Thrust 2.

I am wondering if 15x8 4.5" back spacing will fit both front and back.  If so, should all 4 tires be the same size.  I know alot of people run skinnier tires up front and fatter tires in the back, im just not sure if thats what im looking for or not. 

Also what size lug nuts do I need for these?

Last edited by a moderator:
I run the following with no issues. I had to run a bigger size to clear my brakes. As for the lugs they will be whatever size thread they are now. Whoever you buy the wheels from should recommend what is required length wise for each wheel. Here is a link on differences http://www.roadsters.com/wheels/#TT

Front

17x8.5 4.5 bask space

245/45zr17

Rear

18x9.5 5.5 back space

275/40zr18

OK, so Torque Thrust Original are the original style Torque Thrust rims from the '60s.  They have painted spokes and a machined or polished rim.  The spine of each spoke is basically straight - they're also 1-piece construction, I believe.

Torque Thrust 'D's are basically the same thing - the construction might be slightly different - the spine of each spoke is curved.

Torque Thrust 2 are the same rim, but in either all chrome, or all polished, with the spines of the spokes being curved.

I struggled with those as well - I originally wanted Torque Thrust 2s on mine, but everybody at a car show I went to had 'em, so I went with Cragar S/Ss instead.

15x8s with 4.5" backspacing will work just fine front and rear.  You'll want to stick with the same size tires as well, since it'll make things easier when it comes time to rotate tires.  I have a 'staggered' set up on mine, with 15x8 (4.5"BS) and 245/60R15 tires up front, and 15x10 (5.25"BS) and 295/50R15 tires out back.  Definitely a staggered look, but that's what I was after.

Hope that helps! 

Back