delimma of originality vs driveability

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 73 convertible came with Firestone tires. I recall 3 of the 4 original tires had tread separation problems at different times. The tread would separate across the width of the tread like it was going to unroll.So be carefull when driving on your old Firestones.

Kevin,

Welcome back and I look forward to following along on the restoration of your R code!

Personally I'm going to pick up a set of the radial wide ovals and be done with it. I think they have a great look on the car and should ride so much better than any bias ply tire. I also wouldn't even dream of driving on the road on a set of original 45 year old tires as the rubber would be so hard it would be down right dangerous. Those tires are best left for trailer queens!

Kevin,

Welcome back and I look forward to following along on the restoration of your R code!

Personally I'm going to pick up a set of the radial wide ovals and be done with it. I think they have a great look on the car and should ride so much better than any bias ply tire. I also wouldn't even dream of driving on the road on a set of original 45 year old tires as the rubber would be so hard it would be down right dangerous. Those tires are best left for trailer queens!

I hope the radial wide ovals will be reasonably priced when they come out, but I bet they will be ridiculous in price! Do you have any info on the price? Thanks for the advice, Mark! :thankyouyellow:

Kevin - I like your idea to run the radials. The car will drive better with them. I'm buying a set of Goodrich T/A Radfials for my convertible.

Save back the originals wheels caps and rings with the Goodyears - btw I think they (Goodyears Tires) would be listed on the invoice if so equipped....

Oh yeah --- WELCOME BACK!!!!!

Ray
Thanks Ray! I need a little help. I went through every one of my invoices, and they all say "wide ovals" from Boss 351 cars, to 429 cars, to M code 71s with 15" wheels-not one says polyglass gts. Could it be that "wide oval" was a generic term, and may not have meant Firestone specifically? Thanks!

Okay. I'll try. Many (most) say the term "Wide Oval" was a generic term used by Ford to describe tires. I have a very difficult time with this as I would bet good money Firestone would not brand its tire without some type of corporate protection. But - maybe they are correct?

As for my Boss 351, it came with the Firestones. See picture of my car new at the dealership back in March of 1971:

my Boss new March 1971.JPG

And the invoice lists: /4/ F60x15 WIDE OVAL BELTED

BSW TIRES RAISED WHITE LETTERS

But my 72 convertible came with the Goodyear tires. And they are listed on the invoice as "GOODYEAR BRAND TIRES. But they are also first listed as the same as the Boss invoice! My assumption was if the tires were Firestone, they were as above for the Boss invoice. And if one ordered Goodyear tires, the car's invoice was identified as such.???

Here is the invoice for the convertible:

my 72 Conv Invoice.jpg

Kevin - not sure this answers much but it adds more info to think about for sure!

I'd be interested in getting other's ideas.

My thinking as of today - if the invoice has the Wide Ovals listed it could have had either Firestone or Goodyear tires. If the brand name is called out on the invoice or any other supporting documents - it must be that brand!

Ray

Thanks! I have decided to store the original wheels, tires, hubcaps and trim rings and put a set of repro magnum 500s and some Cooper Cobras on the car and enjoy driving it!

Two sets of wheels with one set original and one set with radial tires so you can enjoy driving it. Dad's Green Boss has Bias ply ties and we don't drive it too far. On the 72 R Code Mach 1 and the 73 Q Code Mach 1 we have radials and it is so much better when you want to drive them.
:p
I still have the original 14 inch steel wheels with hubcaps and trim rings from the 73 Q Code, but they had BFG TAs when we found it. Do you still have any projects for sale? Or did you clear the inventory before the move?

Yeah, $325 seems really expensive to look authentic. Unless you are showing your car it really doesn't make sense to pay that much to have the look of bias ply and ride/handling of a radial.

Kevin - I like your idea to run the radials. The car will drive better with them. I'm buying a set of Goodrich T/A Radfials for my convertible.

Save back the originals wheels caps and rings with the Goodyears - btw I think they (Goodyears Tires) would be listed on the invoice if so equipped....

Oh yeah --- WELCOME BACK!!!!!

Ray
Thanks Ray! I need a little help. I went through every one of my invoices, and they all say "wide ovals" from Boss 351 cars, to 429 cars, to M code 71s with 15" wheels-not one says polyglass gts. Could it be that "wide oval" was a generic term, and may not have meant Firestone specifically? Thanks!

Okay. I'll try. Many (most) say the term "Wide Oval" was a generic term used by Ford to describe tires. I have a very difficult time with this as I would bet good money Firestone would not brand its tire without some type of corporate protection. But - maybe they are correct?

As for my Boss 351, it came with the Firestones. See picture of my car new at the dealership back in March of 1971:

And the invoice lists: /4/ F60x15 WIDE OVAL BELTED

BSW TIRES RAISED WHITE LETTERS

But my 72 convertible came with the Goodyear tires. And they are listed on the invoice as "GOODYEAR BRAND TIRES. But they are also first listed as the same as the Boss invoice! My assumption was if the tires were Firestone, they were as above for the Boss invoice. And if one ordered Goodyear tires, the car's invoice was identified as such.???

Here is the invoice for the convertible:

Kevin - not sure this answers much but it adds more info to think about for sure!

I'd be interested in getting other's ideas.

My thinking as of today - if the invoice has the Wide Ovals listed it could have had either Firestone or Goodyear tires. If the brand name is called out on the invoice or any other supporting documents - it must be that brand!

Ray
That helps a lot Ray. Thanks! Not one of my invoices (and I have about 40) shows the name brand of the tire. Your convertible is one of the highest optioned I have ever seen. Very nice! And I loved the story of the paperwork/pics you found for your Boss. Incredible! Regarding my donation, I feel it's the least I can do with all the site gives me. If I get up to $200, do I still need to reduce pics in "my garage?" Just curious. I'm going to kick the donation up anyway. Kevin.

Thanks! I have decided to store the original wheels, tires, hubcaps and trim rings and put a set of repro magnum 500s and some Cooper Cobras on the car and enjoy driving it!

Two sets of wheels with one set original and one set with radial tires so you can enjoy driving it. Dad's Green Boss has Bias ply ties and we don't drive it too far. On the 72 R Code Mach 1 and the 73 Q Code Mach 1 we have radials and it is so much better when you want to drive them.
:p
I still have the original 14 inch steel wheels with hubcaps and trim rings from the 73 Q Code, but they had BFG TAs when we found it. Do you still have any projects for sale? Or did you clear the inventory before the move?
Hi mweeps. I sold or decided to finish most of the other projects. I do have a 1971 M code 4 spd convertible bright blue metallic/blue/white top project I would sell, but it would take a lot of work to get it ready as the bare body is hanging from the ceiling and would need to be loaded with a fork lift. I also have a special order black 73 Q code convertible that runs and drives. And there is a pewter 73 H code convertible. Kevin.

Hi. I have been away from the forum for a long time. This is a reply to a post I saw at vintage-mustang.com by someone who is the original owner of a 1972 R code Mach I:      I saw your post, and I am restoring my 72 Bright Blue R code convertible right now, and your post provided me with some valuable information. I was unsure whether these cars came with Goodyear Polyglass GTs or Firestone Wide Ovals. Apparently your car came with a set or Polyglass gts, and that's great, because I just bought a set of new take off F60 15 Goodyear Polyglass GTs and all are (incredibly) date coded for 1972! I think these tires will look awesome on the car, but the ride is going to be aweful! I'd like to post a thread for everyone out there to chime in on which tire looks better, and a general conversation of the dilemma we all have of whether to compromise the value of a rare car when it comes to drive-ability (I'm conflicted that I could have put a set of new BFG radial T/As or Cooper Cobra radials on the car and the car would still look nice but ride a lot better). I know I could have two sets of wheels and tires and change them out for shows vs. driving, but it is such a pain to spend all that extra money and waste the space in my garage. Thanks! Kevin.

Back