delimma of originality vs driveability

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi. I have been away from the forum for a long time. This is a reply to a post I saw at vintage-mustang.com by someone who is the original owner of a 1972 R code Mach I: I saw your post, and I am restoring my 72 Bright Blue R code convertible right now, and your post provided me with some valuable information. I was unsure whether these cars came with Goodyear Polyglass GTs or Firestone Wide Ovals. Apparently your car came with a set or Polyglass gts, and that's great, because I just bought a set of new take off F60 15 Goodyear Polyglass GTs and all are (incredibly) date coded for 1972! I think these tires will look awesome on the car, but the ride is going to be aweful! I'd like to post a thread for everyone out there to chime in on which tire looks better, and a general conversation of the dilemma we all have of whether to compromise the value of a rare car when it comes to drive-ability (I'm conflicted that I could have put a set of new BFG radial T/As or Cooper Cobra radials on the car and the car would still look nice but ride a lot better). I know I could have two sets of wheels and tires and change them out for shows vs. driving, but it is such a pain to spend all that extra money and waste the space in my garage. Thanks! Kevin.

Here's my two cents. If the car is nothing special, like mine, a 302 vert with FMX, then do whatever you want. If it's a Boss 351, 72 R-code or a Shelby (for the older ones) keep it original or if you do mods make sure they're reversible. (Rims, steering wheels etc)

I don't think it should ever influence your choice of tires or brake pads unless you only Trailer the car to shows. If you're gonna drive it, make sure it's as roadworthy as possible.

Tires are not part of the car, they're easily swapped. You neither have the original air in them nor the original oil in the engine.

Thanks Mike!

Here's my two cents. If the car is nothing special, like mine, a 302 vert with FMX, then do whatever you want. If it's a Boss 351, 72 R-code or a Shelby (for the older ones) keep it original or if you do mods make sure they're reversible. (Rims, steering wheels etc)

I don't think it should ever influence your choice of tires or brake pads unless you only Trailer the car to shows. If you're gonna drive it, make sure it's as roadworthy as possible.

Tires are not part of the car, they're easily swapped. You neither have the original air in them note the original oil in the engine.

Two sets of wheels with one set original and one set with radial tires so you can enjoy driving it. Dad's Green Boss has Bias ply ties and we don't drive it too far. On the 72 R Code Mach 1 and the 73 Q Code Mach 1 we have radials and it is so much better when you want to drive them.

Hi Kevken,

Hey, welcome back! Good to see you on the Forum again, and hope you've been keeping well. (and all your beautiful rides:))

Regards your question on the rubber. As i recall, the old Polyglass tires were an average performer, but in their day were the bees knees. I don't know about the newer versions though sorry.

I run Mastercraft Avenger tires on my Mustangs, and i'm very happy with them in every way. If keeping to the stock original looking car is the most important thing for you, then go with the Poly tires, if not then

go with a modern tires. Hope that helps. And hey, don't be a stranger.:)

Greg.:)

Put modern radials on for driving around. The extra cost and storage of a spare set of originals for shows is much cheaper than your deductible. And like you said you will enjoy the ride more. The average Joe doesn't give a care about your tread when you are chatting up at the gas station or where ever. And if you meet an actual enthusiest and say 'Yeah, I keep a set of bias plys at home for shows' we will all totally get it. ;)

I would be very leery of driving around town on 40+ year old tires. In fact, most reputable places state that you should replace any tire after 5 years due to aging of the rubber. If these are original tires, that's great and they are worth a lot of money! Best to use them for show purposes only and trailer the car to/from shows. I like the idea of having two sets of wheels/tires: one for show and one for go!

Thanks! I have decided to store the original wheels, tires, hubcaps and trim rings and put a set of repro magnum 500s and some Cooper Cobras on the car and enjoy driving it!

Two sets of wheels with one set original and one set with radial tires so you can enjoy driving it. Dad's Green Boss has Bias ply ties and we don't drive it too far. On the 72 R Code Mach 1 and the 73 Q Code Mach 1 we have radials and it is so much better when you want to drive them.
:p

Great feedback. I'm feeling a lot better about putting some Magnums and new radials on the car now. Thanks! Kevin.

I would be very leery of driving around town on 40+ year old tires. In fact, most reputable places state that you should replace any tire after 5 years due to aging of the rubber. If these are original tires, that's great and they are worth a lot of money! Best to use them for show purposes only and trailer the car to/from shows. I like the idea of having two sets of wheels/tires: one for show and one for go!

Thanks Greg! I like the Mastercrafts too. They are among the few raised white letter tires available to us today. Too bad they no longer make the Firestone Firehawks in RWL. I loved them! And Goodyear radials are out too if you want RWL. I wonder why all the tire companies are going away from RWL? Kevin.

Hi Kevken,

Hey, welcome back! Good to see you on the Forum again, and hope you've been keeping well. (and all your beautiful rides:))

Regards your question on the rubber. As i recall, the old Polyglass tires were an average performer, but in their day were the bees knees. I don't know about the newer versions though sorry.

I run Mastercraft Avenger tires on my Mustangs, and i'm very happy with them in every way. If keeping to the stock original looking car is the most important thing for you, then go with the Poly tires, if not then

go with a modern tires. Hope that helps. And hey, don't be a stranger.:)

Greg.:)

Put modern radials on for driving around. The extra cost and storage of a spare set of originals for shows is much cheaper than your deductible. And like you said you will enjoy the ride more. The average Joe doesn't give a care about your tread when you are chatting up at the gas station or where ever. And if you meet an actual enthusiest and say 'Yeah, I keep a set of bias plys at home for shows' we will all totally get it. ;)

Great Advice Mike! I'm going to follow it! Kevin.:thankyouyellow:

I would swear that I recently read that some tire company (Cooper?) was going to make Firestone or Goodyear Bias Ply look alike that were actually a radial. Did I dream this?

As for originality, I have bias ply on the car with hub caps and radials on the Magnum 500's that I never use. I was thinking of just selling the Magnums and replacing the Bias Ply since they are getting old, ideally with a look alike radial.

OMG Greg! I forgot about that post, and thanks for the memories, lol. Please see my reply:

OMG!! I stopped coming to site (for no particular reason, just busy with other stuff), and I was just forwarded this thread from 5 years ago. The funny thing is that I had never even seen the last two pages of this thread until now! It is so weird that there was a post condemning me for not putting a set of bias ply tires on that red 429CJ fastback, and it's that very question that led me back to the site after all these years!! So, see, there are people out there that will condemn me for not putting a set of Polyglass GT tires on the 72 R code convertible! But it seems the consensus is that it is best to put a set of radials on the car if it is going to be driven at all.

Back to the story on the red 71 429CJ in this post. I am sick that I sold that car SO CHEAP! $37,500!! And it went to Barrett Jackson in California!! I wonder what it sold for? I spent hundreds of hours on that car and maybe made $2,000. What was I thinking!! Please feel free to trash me all you want for that! I guarantee the 72 R code convertible won't go that cheap!!

I would swear that I recently read that some tire company (Cooper?) was going to make Firestone or Goodyear Bias Ply look alike that were actually a radial. Did I dream this?

As for originality, I have bias ply on the car with hub caps and radials on the Magnum 500's that I never use. I was thinking of just selling the Magnums and replacing the Bias Ply since they are getting old, ideally with a look alike radial.

I was thinking the same thing about the look alike radial tires, but I haven't been able to find them either.

Kevin - I like your idea to run the radials. The car will drive better with them. I'm buying a set of Goodrich T/A Radfials for my convertible.

Save back the originals wheels caps and rings with the Goodyears - btw I think they (Goodyears Tires) would be listed on the invoice if so equipped....

Oh yeah --- WELCOME BACK!!!!!

Ray

Kevin - I like your idea to run the radials. The car will drive better with them. I'm buying a set of Goodrich T/A Radfials for my convertible.

Save back the originals wheels caps and rings with the Goodyears - btw I think they (Goodyears Tires) would be listed on the invoice if so equipped....

Oh yeah --- WELCOME BACK!!!!!

Ray
Thanks Ray! I need a little help. I went through every one of my invoices, and they all say "wide ovals" from Boss 351 cars, to 429 cars, to M code 71s with 15" wheels-not one says polyglass gts. Could it be that "wide oval" was a generic term, and may not have meant Firestone specifically? Thanks!

I've looked on-line and found Boss 302 and Boss 429s and on the Eminger sheets posted they all have "wide oval." It would appear that "wide oval" is a generic term because those cars certainly came with Goodyear Polyglass GTS> Kevin.

I was looking into this a little while ago, and you guys weren't dreaming about having radials that look like the old bias-ply performance tires:

https://www.cokertire.com/blog/firestone-wide-oval-radial/

I am waiting to see pricing on these when they are released. Considering that I believe the bias-ply versions are around $225 each, the radial pricing might be through the roof. Still better than storing a complete extra set of wheels and tires though. I haven't rolled on bias-ply tires since 1980, and I don't think I want to revisit that era with the shape our roads are in here in PA. My invoice also says F60X15 Wide Oval Belted.

Looks like someone may have started a Facebook page a few years ago to drum up interest in Goodyear Polyglas GT radials:

https://www.facebook.com/Goodyear-Polyglas-GT-Radial-313284128682940/

Always loved this ad!

298772_313292842015402_1780144581_n.jpg

Back