Deluxe door panel pre-drilled hole cover up

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael O’Harran

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Mustang 351C
Currently Under Restoration
What have some of you done to deal with a predrilled hole for a remote mirror that you don't have? I have looked for panel plugs, though don't know if I'd like that, but can't find them for 1972. I have looked for just the remote mirror assembly to add the handle only, but can't find the back to lock it all in, just the handle and front washer bezel. I have heard other mention placing something like and emblem over it, but that's not crazy with me either. I saw one that said tweeters, but I already have my stereo system set and its only on one side. Looking for more suggestions from others. Thanks.

Can anyone give me the close up pictures of the remote knob and bezel with measurements on the flat space around it before the panel contours out from being flat? I'm thinking of adding an emblem or badge, but need to know the space I'm working with and my original door panels seem to be missing? Thanks

Can anyone give me the close up pictures of the remote knob and bezel with measurements on the flat space around it before the panel contours out from being flat? I'm thinking of adding an emblem or badge, but need to know the space I'm working with and my original door panels seem to be missing? Thanks
Are these the measurements you are after? If not I can get a few more of the various pieces.

20220325_083915.jpg 20220325_083835.jpg

Are these the measurements you are after? If not I can get a few more of the various pieces.

View attachment 61136 View attachment 61137
I really appreciate you doing this b that helps for a better idea on the hole size so yes, but I was actually looking for the measurements of the flat space on the door panel around that remote knob. So if I create a badge/emblem to cover that hole what space do I have to place something flat against the panel before it won’t lay flat because the panel slopes out. Does that make sense?

I really appreciate you doing this b that helps for a better idea on the hole size so yes, but I was actually looking for the measurements of the flat space on the door panel around that remote knob. So if I create a badge/emblem to cover that hole what space do I have to place something flat against the panel before it won’t lay flat because the panel slopes out. Does that make sense?
Michael, my door panel was a new repro, so not sure if it is the same as an original panel. I just wanted to cover the hole. I cut a disk shape out of black textured plastic to match the largest area of the hole, shaved the inside edge and packed it out with smaller pieces so it finished flush with the vinyl trim. The photo is the first attempt but he hole turned out to be not quite round so another was shaped to fit the hole exactly. As both the plastic and the panel vinyl are gloss black, it is not really noticeable.
David

20220325_133117.jpg 20220325_133130.jpg

Michael, my door panel was a new repro, so not sure if it is the same as an original panel. I just wanted to cover the hole. I cut a disk shape out of black textured plastic to match the largest area of the hole, shaved the inside edge and packed it out with smaller pieces so it finished flush with the vinyl trim. The photo is the first attempt but he hole turned out to be not quite round so another was shaped to fit the hole exactly. As both the plastic and the panel vinyl are gloss black, it is not really noticeable.
David

View attachment 61140 View attachment 61141
Thank you very much. That’s good to know

Back