deluxe door panel removal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkelley72

Reaction score
My Car
72 mustang convertible
I just replaced all of the weather strip on my 72 convertible and now the windows don't align with the top. I need to adjust the windows but am afraid of messing up the original deluxe door panels during removal. What tool should I use in order to minimize my chances of messing things up? How can I tell exactly where the retainer clips are located? Thanks for your help!

Door clip removal tool. It's a semi-wide flat blade with a centered notch cutout. You slide the notch up around the clip and pop it out. Without it, you're guaranteed to rip the pressed cardboard that makes up the backside of the panel. Probably one of the more essential tools to have if you own any year vintage mustang.

You can order one from pretty much anyone online or check the "HELP" section in your local auto parts store. Sometimes you can find one there. $5 - $10.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Do you know how many clips there are and approx. where they are located? (bottom,sides etc.) Your 73 (very nice car) looks very similar to mine....same color but mine has black hockey stick stripe and no blacked out hood. Thanks again for your guidance.

I can't give you an exact count (but I'm betting someone can chime in), however you may want to order a new set of clips since the original have a tendency to distort if whacked (to insert) just a hair off. Somehow that just does not sound like it should...however....

Sides - 4 (?), bottom - 5 (I'm guessing from memory). Call Don at Ohio Mustang Supply - he has what you need to do this. http://www.ohiomustang.com/

72 stripe options were different from 73. Mine had no stripes, but I changed from the original 'argent' factory finish to semi-flat textured black to set off the front and rear spoilers (not factory) for an overall appearance.

Thanks guys. With all I've read about the aftermarket panels I just don't want to screw things up. I'll get some new clips and give it a shot. Thanks again for everyones input.

doorpanelssprint 003.jpg

Thanks guys. With all I've read about the aftermarket panels I just don't want to screw things up. I'll get some new clips and give it a shot. Thanks again for everyones input.
Don't assume the holes for the clips in the new panels line up exactly like the ones on the original panels. It will likely be a trial and error process to get all the clips lined up to the holes in the door. Here a picture of the back on an original panel. I count about 14 holes for the clips.

Back