Deluxe Door Panels and Door Pulls

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mds1973

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
Hello everyone.  I am new to the forum but not new to the Mustang hobby.  I bought my 1973 Mach 1 in 1981 when I was a junior in high school.  Wrecked it and my dad put it back together for me and I drove it until 1988 when I parked it in a garage.  It sat until I got it back on the road in 2000.  In 2005 the battery died and with a lack of funds at the time it sat again until 2015 when my wife gave me the ok to start working on it again.  I got it running and last year took it to a well respected local Ford mechanic who kept it for several months going over the car from a mechanical standpoint bumper to bumper.  The bill was pretty high but it was the price to pay to get it safe to drive.  I have been enjoying driving it ever since.

Now that I have built up my restoration fund over the past year, I am moving on to the interior.  I have gotten new carpet and a dash pad.  I am planning on holding off on upholstery for now since the seats aren't too bad.  I do want to replace the door panels.  They were cracked when I bought the car 36 years ago and are only worse now.  I have read a few posts in the forum on deluxe door panels but wanted to ask everyone's opinion on the products that are available.  It seems the price varies quite a bit from one to the other.  The TMI panels seem to be the most expensive.  Dashes Direct also offers deluxe panels.  And Mustang Market has panels for quite a bit cheaper.  I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences with any of these brands.  Most of the reviews I have read online don't seem to favorable on any of them.  On the plus side Mustang Market is only about an hour or so from my house so I could by direct from them and see them before I purchase them. 

Also does anyone have a source for white door pulls?  It seems no one carries the door pulls in white.  I can reuse the driver's side if I have to but I am afraid I will need a new one for the passenger side.

Thanks!!

I bought and used the black TMI panels. Then door panels fit perfect, and look fantastic. The door pulls (not sure brand) don't line up very well and need a lot of massaging to get them to look OK. I'm thinking this is the same no matter what panels you use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I mean.

60353a9dd88ce6af731d241ae3f2765a.jpg

d07976a569fed9e3b67cdbf76c46c85f.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses and pictures.  I am just debating if the TMI panels are worth the extra $200 dollars especially when no matter which way you go there is so much work involved in moving the trim over.

I recently purchased mustang market deluxe door panels in white. They came to me super fast and they look really good and the color is spot on. I also debated between the two companies but opted to go for the cheaper panels because I personally couldn't justify the extra cost since I had to replace an entire interior anyway.

Thanks John.  I am leaning that way too.  Plus their shop is only about an hour away from me so I can ride up and see them before I buy them.  While that isn't going to help with fit at least I can take a look at them quality wise.  Where you able to use your old door pulls?  They seem to be impossible to find in white online.

Thanks for the responses and pictures.  I am just debating if the TMI panels are worth the extra $200 dollars especially when no matter which way you go there is so much work involved in moving the trim over.
NO, go to mustang market talk to Sandy or JD

I'm a dealer for them - they have good stuff.

Even if you find someone with the white pulls, don't buy them. Universal urethane always painted them and the paint always peeled. I stopped carrying them a long time ago. You need to get a used one and re-dye it

I may have one

Last edited by a moderator:
wow. I recently looked for panels and saw some for nearly a grand and I thought each! Then I decided not to fix my window coz I can't afford new panels. But these are just over 300 for a pair! I must've been looking wrong or something.

wow. I recently looked for panels and saw some for nearly a grand and I thought each! Then I decided not to fix my window coz I can't afford new panels. But these are just over 300 for a pair! I must've been looking wrong or something.
Because my interior is 4R/Green on my Grande and its a deluxe interior i can not buy off the shelf. SMS said they would get a pair re-skinned for me. That was just over a year ago i parted with $750 and i am still awaiting my door panels. I know he has farmed the work out to whomever and the finished article is out of his hands. There comes a point where you think you never going to get your panels.

On the upside at least im covered by credit card company.

Next time i will choose a Mustang with a interior colour i know i can buy off the shelf. I am rather partial to the Vermillion interior and black exterior paint. Now thats a perfect combination

Because my interior is 4R/Green on my Grandé and its a deluxe interior i can not buy off the shelf. SMS said they would get a pair re-skinned for me. That was just over a year ago i parted with $750 and i am still awaiting my door panels. I know he has farmed the work out to whomever and the finished article is out of his hands. There comes a point where you think you never going to get your panels.

Next time i will choose a Mustang with a interior colour i know i can buy off the shelf. I am rather partial to the Vermillion interior and black exterior paint. Now thats a perfect combination
Better check on that credit card ... did not receive items are usually 6 months.

That sucks. Why is it taking so long? Are they screwing you over?
All i know is i keep getting delivery dates and then the dates get pushed back. The latest as of 1st was shipping by yesterday which didnt happen. Now they telling me Monday or Tuesday. Apparently its because they cant find some donor panels to re-skin. Maybe they havent heard of ebay

All i know is i keep getting delivery dates and then the dates get pushed back. The latest as of 1st was shipping by yesterday which didnt happen. Now they telling me Monday or Tuesday. Apparently its because they cant find some donor panels to re-skin. Maybe they havent heard of ebay
Steve, so he is telling you he intends to re-skin a set of used panels ?

From what I understand the " adhesive " for the vinyl to the panel is the foam.

You can't just peel off the old vinyl and glue on new.

Careful, maybe he doesn't know 71-3 stuff.

Steve, so he is telling you he intends to re-skin a set of used panels ?

From what I understand the " adhesive " for the vinyl to the panel is the foam.

You can't just peel off the old vinyl and glue on new.

Careful, maybe he doesn't know 71-3 stuff.
Yeah he is getting them re-skinned. He has outsourced the work so not sure who he is using for the job. Hopefully they should be with me in next 2-3 weeks by the time they get shipped and clear customs.

Because my interior is 4R/Green on my Grandé and its a deluxe interior i can not buy off the shelf. SMS said they would get a pair re-skinned for me. That was just over a year ago i parted with $750 and i am still awaiting my door panels. I know he has farmed the work out to whomever and the finished article is out of his hands. There comes a point where you think you never going to get your panels.

Better check on that credit card ... did not receive items are usually 6 months.
Its 12 months here in thr U.K. I have already started the ball rolling and sent all correspondence to the credit card company. I am confident i will get my panels but i wanted to get the claim in before the 12 month deadline. If the panels are not a good enough standard i will continue with the claim and just buy a new set of white door panels and spray them at the same time as the rest of the interior panels

Back