Die Cast Model

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The '71 Boss 351, base sports roof models, and the '72 USA Sprint had a body-color painted rear tail light panel with no applique. In early Feb '71 production Ford added the metal textured applique and moldings to the base sports roof models. The honeycomb panel was standard on Mach 1 and available with optional Decor options and select special editions throughout the 71-73 production run.
Many different models and content levels mandated what tail light panel treatment a Mustang received. Base hardtops, convertibles, and Grandes received the textured or camera case finish metal applique. :)

1670346882595.png
1670346927736.png
1670347017541.png

I was asking in particular about the Sprints w/ honeycomb or camera panels. The scale model is showing a painted honeycomb.

The '72 Sprint Mustang, as posted above, was one of the models that did not have a metal camera case or plastic honeycomb panel. Like the '71 Boss and the early base sports roof, they have a painted taillight panel, the same panel the taillights mount in.

You can't expect much in the way of accuracy on the die-cast produced by Auto World. At one time, they made some nice entry-level die casts. You can see from the terrible fit and finish of the deck lid, bumpers, and other components their quality control hasn't improved much.
The angled-down appearance of the grill and headlights, the strange sag of the taillights, and the blue-painted honeycomb panel add little to the accuracy of this one.

I saw pre release pictures of the upcoming sprint and it was horrible. Not shelling out $100+- for that…

I'm curious why price for these low quality ( my opinion) diecast models have gotten so high the past 10 plus years.
Over $100 for those?
I collected classic diecast mustangs for a while.
There was low quality $20 cars and then up to $100 $200 plus , real quality product.
Easy to see the differences.

vamach1,
Nice job on that "Sprint" model. I still build models, time permitting, I have been since I was in elementary school. I built cars at first, then got into aircraft for years, then switched back to building car kits, and continue today. I must have been about 10 years old when I got interested, and continue to build 'em today at 68 years old. It's likely what got me interested in mechanics as a young boy. I have an ecclectic collection of early kits that are unbuilt, I'll get to some eventually. Here's one that got built...

Attachments

• Rat Fink stuff 2.jpg
    Rat Fink stuff 2.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Speaking of die cast....anyone here on the boards collect "American Graffitti" die cast? I have the 1/18 stuff, as well as 1/25th and Hot Wheels sized ( 1/64ths ?) stuff.

Attachments

• John Milner car builder and owner.jpg
    John Milner car builder and owner.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 0
vamach1,
Nice job on that "Sprint" model. I still build models, time permitting, I have been since I was in elementary school. I built cars at first, then got into aircraft for years, then switched back to building car kits, and continue today. I must have been about 10 years old when I got interested, and continue to build 'em today at 68 years old. It's likely what got me interested in mechanics as a young boy. I have an ecclectic collection of early kits that are unbuilt, I'll get to some eventually. Here's one that got built...
I have a few Rat Fink models myself!

American Graffiti line 1/64 . I put Matchbox wheels on, to see if it looked more accurate. I think plastic 1/25 kits are the best way to custom build an accurate representation of your car.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1678121261405.jpg
    FB_IMG_1678121261405.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 0
How did you do this? I was looking to do one to match my personalized car?
The decals are from Keith Marks - search mofobow on Fotki. The ”flat” hood was cut out of a Johan funny car kit. The rest is combining parts from the MPC and AMT 71-72 Mustang kits.

Back