Differences inside trunk between coupe and fastback

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

ManniB

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Hi all,

I would like to pretty up my trunk by adding a real carpet. Several vendors offer sets, but all are for a coupe and unfortunately mine is a '71 fastback.

So my question is, what are the dimensional differences in the trunk area between a coupe and a fastback?

Would I be able to modify a carpet set made for a coupe to fit a fastback?

What other options do I have to get a carpet in the trunk?

Thank you, Manfred

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
Hi all,

I would like to pretty up my trunk by adding a real carpet. Several vendors offer sets, but all are for a coupe and unfortunately mine is a '71 fastback.

So my question is, what are the dimensional differences in the trunk area between a coupe and a fastback?

Thank you, Manfred
Manfred.I made my own.I went to an upolstory shop and bought the material.The material I used is the same gray/ white / black as used in the modern auto trunks.It is very easy to cut to fit.I think I bought about two square yards of material.

If you go to my pictures you can see several shots of my trunk.It is a little dusty at the moment.I used a small amount of spray upolstory glue in a few spots,but other than that it lays in perfectly.

My car came from the factory / dealer with the same type of mat. Hope that helps!

PC250027.JPG

ManniB

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Hi all,

Thank you, Manfred
Manfred.I made my own.I went to an upolstory shop and bought the material.The material I used is the same gray/ white / black as used in the modern auto trunks.It is very easy to cut to fit.I think I bought about two square yards of material.

If you go to my pictures you can see several shots of my trunk.It is a little dusty at the moment.I used a small amount of spray upolstory glue in a few spots,but other than that it lays in perfectly.

My car came from the factory / dealer with the same type of mat. Hope that helps!
Hi FastE,

what (if anything) did you do with the trunk drop offs? It is not visible in the picture.

I plan to cover them with some self constructed trunk filler boards since they seem not to be available from any vendor.

Thanks, Manfred

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
Hi all,

Thank you, Manfred

Hi FastE,

what (if anything) did you do with the trunk drop offs? It is not visible in the picture.

I plan to cover them with some self constructed trunk filler boards since they seem not to be available from any vendor.

Thanks, Manfred
I left them open,as that was the way they were from the factory.A filler board would give you alot more room for sure.

PC250024.JPG

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2v
Inside the trunk of a coupe. What if anything should cover the back of the back seat. See photo. Looks unfinished or like something is missing to me. Anyone have a photo of the inside of the trunk of a grande coupe and what I may or may not be missing?

image.jpg

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Fastback
2017 Fastback
Inside the trunk of a coupe. What if anything should cover the back of the back seat. See photo. Looks unfinished or like something is missing to me. Anyone have a photo of the inside of the trunk of a Grandé coupe and what I may or may not be missing?
That is the way it came from the factory. I actually put metal there during restoration at the insistence of dad. He was in the old gas tank explosion mindset and said if it happen, it would travel that direction.

I did as I was told and put sound proofing between it and the seat to help with noise. It does help.

I intend to put carpet in my truck and do something about the drop offs. In high school I had some fall in there and sent the 1/4. I want to keep it from happening again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk