Disc break help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayro

Reaction score
My Car
73 mustang baby blue with clevo 351
Hey guys,

Looking for some help. I have a 73 model that was originally a 6 cyl but now runs an 8 which it was imported to here in Australia with.

Car has 4 wheel drums but I’m looking at best option of fitting discs to front?

Cheers
Jase

Attachments

• 82008C81-05BF-4CE9-B681-45CC6D5693F3.jpeg
    82008C81-05BF-4CE9-B681-45CC6D5693F3.jpeg
    299.8 KB · Views: 0
Jase, have a look at XA ,XB and later model Falcon options. May bolt straight on. Discs, pads etc are readily available. Has the brake booster been upgraded?
Cheers
David

Thanks mate, I was wondering if there may be an option like that. I’m not overly knowledgeable on the breaks side of things. This is my cylinder/booster

Attachments

• 43B61D9E-D910-41AF-B33A-F7AC66231E0B.jpeg
    43B61D9E-D910-41AF-B33A-F7AC66231E0B.jpeg
    778.2 KB · Views: 0
If you have the money you might want to check on some aftermarket kits that contain everything need to do a conversion. They include booster with master cylinder, proportioning valve and all the brake parts needed to do a conversion. Cost is around $1,200 or so depending on where you get it. Will save you a lot of headaches in the long run. Cjpony, npd and most sites like summit racing carry them.

unless you replace the drum brske Master cylinder with a MC made specifically for Front Disc Brakes you will need to remove the Residual Pressure Check Valve (RPCV) from the MC outlet port used to send fluid to the front disc brake calipers. You want the RPCV to be left in place the the rear drum brake wheel cylinders, but never for disc brake caliper systems. If you do not remove the RPCV for the front hydraulic outlet port you will end up with disc pads always being under a bit of pressure, causing excessive pad wear, overheated rotors and pads, warped rotors, diminished vehicle performance - all avoidable and all bad news.

One of the problems with using a drum/drum master cylinder is the small volume of the reservoirs. The pistons on disk brake calipers do not retract and as the pads wear the space behind the pistons gets larger, which is filled from the reservoir. This is why disk brake reservoirs are larger than drum brake reservoirs. If you do use the drum/drum master cylinder make sure you check the fluid level often and top off as necessary.

Another tidbit. One some of those front disc brake designs it is entirely possible to insta;;l the calipers on the wring side of the car. Doing so makes it impossible to bleed the brakes if/when needed. See the attached graphic to see why.

Attachments

• ___1968-1973FordMustang_FrontBrakeCalipers_InstallationOrientation_20211116.jpg
    ___1968-1973FordMustang_FrontBrakeCalipers_InstallationOrientation_20211116.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 0
Thanks mate, I was wondering if there may be an option like that. I’m not overly knowledgeable on the breaks side of things. This is my cylinder/booster
I think you'll find your Master Cylinder is for power drum brakes, front and rear. As Don said the disc brake fluid volume is too small. The booster is probably not suitable as well.
Here's my setup. Standard power front disc/rear drum master cylinder, Falcon XA/XB, The rear section has a larger fluid capacity for the front discs. The booster is a PBR VH328 to suit XA/XB V8 front discs/rear drums and the same with the XB front discs, calipers, etc. All this bolts straight into the Mustang. Rear drum brakes are Mustang. I used an adjustable F/R proportioning valve. Obviously mine needed new lines to accommodate the RHD conversion.
20190817_163057.jpg

I think you'll find your Master Cylinder is for power drum brakes, front and rear. As Don said the disc brake fluid volume is too small. The booster is probably not suitable as well.
Here's my setup. Standard power front disc/rear drum master cylinder, Falcon XA/XB, The rear section has a larger fluid capacity for the front discs. The booster is a PBR VH328 to suit XA/XB V8 front discs/rear drums and the same with the XB front discs, calipers, etc. All this bolts straight into the Mustang. Rear drum brakes are Mustang. I used an adjustable F/R proportioning valve. Obviously mine needed new lines to accommodate the RHD conversion.
View attachment 68542
Thanks for that info mate. Really appreciate it 👍

I used the Leeds drum to disc conversion just 2 months ago. They said it is a copy of the '67 Mustang Power Disc set. I converted mine and you do get a huge boost of confidence when driving with velvety-smooth new brakes.

I don't think SSBC are still around, or they've been bought out and still around under another name (Leed's?), but the kit I put on my Mach 1 back in 2010 was SSBC's 4 piston Kelsey-Hayes style front disc kit. This kit fitted straight onto my drum brake spindles, which was a huge draw to that brand. The kit contained the correct master cylinder as well as a rear variable/adjustable rear brake valve. I drove this car for several years before I added the 11" booster. The original distribution block was then only used as a connection for the front brakes.

Back