Distributor Install Problem

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdM

Reaction score
Between the Texas Hill Country and North Idaho
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q code, a 427 Dart based Windsor, Pro Flo 4, Tremec 5 speed, A/C, 12.7:1 steering conversion, SoT coil over and Dakota Digital dash.
I am trying to finish up my intake manifold gasket replacement and am re-installing the distributor. I marked everything prior to removal and I can get it down until I hit the oil pump shaft. No go. When I look down at the oil pump shaft I note that it is leaning to one side, not centered. With a screwdriver it is readily moved. Is this all correct? Any ideas?

Yes, very common. Try putting a small blob of grease on the end of the screw driver, and use the grease to keep the shaft centered.

Last edited by a moderator:
As he said, it's very common. sometimes takes a little wiggle. Try moving the rotor a little bit back and forth as you slide the distributor into place.

Be really careful that you don't get it almost in and then yank the distributor out and the shaft comes up with it and then drops into the oil pan. This happened to me. I am not trying to make you paranoid. Just move slowly. ;)

And future reference. It is not necessary to remove the distributor to remove/install the intake. In some respects it makes it easier, in other respects it can make it more difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks gents. Yes I was aware that the distributor need not be removed. I was just a bit worried when setting the intake down I could have an alignment challenge so to be safe off it came.

Such a common PITA. Such the cap down and when it seems to hit, back off of it just enough to clear the teeth and rotate it counter clockwise one tooth, it should slide right down. I know it seems that this will play into timing being off, but thats why you can rotate the cap after getting it running again to time it. Grease up the end as previously stated. Good Luck!

Back