DIY Mustang II front suspension?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLOWnSTEADY

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach One
2000 Chevrolet Impala
1987 Mazda RX7 (Turbo SBF swapped)
1987 Toyota 4Runner (7MGTE swapped)

few other projects...
Does anyone know of a good "do it yourself" Mustang II install on a 71-73? I have the chance to get a hub-hub MII front end setup for $200 and was considering it but I can't really find any good write-ups to see if it is something I want to try. I have found a few "aftermarket, MII "style" front end kit installs" but nothing using an actual MII front end

It is for space more than anything... Shoving a 4.6L DOHC into the engine bay is a tight fit, even with notched shock towers. the MII setup would allow for a lot more space.

A 4.6 is wider than a 460?
I don't think so, It is more WHERE the widest point of the modular motor is than HOW wide it is. It squeezed in there with the stock shock towers and no exhaust manifolds. I could probably run it like this but that is not what I want to do and that is not the point of this thread.

I didn't start this thread to ask opinions on whether or not I should run a MII setup, I asked if anyone knows of any good write-ups.

Thanks

I don't think so, It is more WHERE the widest point of the modular motor is than HOW wide it is. It squeezed in there with the stock shock towers and no exhaust manifolds. I could probably run it like this but that is not what I want to do and that is not the point of this thread.

I didn't start this thread to ask opinions on whether or not I should run a MII setup, I asked if anyone knows of any good write-ups.

Thanks
I haven't seen anything on 71-73s just 65-70 and falcon good luck. Mike

I am not aware of any good write-ups on this swap BUT I am sure it is/has been done, especially considering the fact that the kits are available in the after market.

If I were You, I would go to some of those sites to see what "their" kits looks like and if possible get a copy of their installation instructions. I would think those instructions for the after market kits would not be too much different from the "real thing."

Hope this helps.

BT

Check Rod & Custom for anything from parts to a complete MII system.

http://rcmotorsportsinc.com/

We were going to go this route but Don from OMS may have saved the day with the shock tower that we need! With these MII kits, you have to cut the shock towers out and use filler panels to cover the hole up.

That is what i want, a nice smooth engine bay...

Also, sorry if I seemed a little "grumpy" up there in post #5! LOL, that was not my intentions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks
Read Herb Adams book "Chassis Engineering" it will give you the knowledge you need to make an accurate decision. Some of the aftermarket suspension "systems" and kits do not perform well.

Back