• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Do tilt columns sell for this now?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
Got rain here today so no wood cutting. I was on ebay and this tilt column is listed with a buy price of $995 is a 73 but ad says they will change the turn signal for 71 - 72. Cannot believe they are going for that price. 5 of my cars have them so I have a couple spares if this sells for this I will sell, lol. Not too long ago they were $350. 

If you do buy one be sure to get like this one with everything. The floor plate is different and you seldom find pieces. Like doing automatic to manual conversion much easier and faster and usually less cost to get it all at one time.

The statement made that rag joint different I do not agree with I have changed mine and the Osborne Chassis Ford Manual shows same one you just space the two metal parts differently.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Mustang-Cougar-Tilt-Steering-Column-Mach-1-Grande-Convertible-1971-72/233457021283?hash=item365b1f7163:g:~RcAAOSwAfheErd-

I think he is reaching a bit at that price... Still about $775US $$ when converted. As a Canadian, I would not pay $1000 for this (+ shipping). Looks like original internals, could get real pricy if you have to locate and replace the brittle plastic pieces. But, these are becoming harder to find in decent shape...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not surprised by 'stupid money' prices for these, but it's getting ridiculous.  

They were scarce as hen's teeth back in 2013 when I was looking for a replacement for mine, and I bought the only one I could find for $600-ish.  The sucky part is that it had a major internal part that had been JB Welded, which eventually broke a few days after I'd received it.  So my replacement solution suddenly became a parts supplier for my original - the broken pieces in each [fortunately] were not the same, and I was able to make a good column between the two... mostly.  It still has the feeling of having worn-out parts inside and while it works, it feels a tiny bit sloppy compared to my other cars where everything is right and tight inside.

Since absolute authenticity isn't my goal, if there was a direct fit Flaming River or Ididit unit available, I'd scrap the whole thing and go with that (still probably will).  There was a guy here a few years ago who showed his aftermarket universal steering column swap, but only provided a partial parts list, and was missing a critical piece of information to make me jump right in (since they're so expensive - I'd asked a question about the gearbox-end of the steering column and which coupler to use, and he never replied).

Back