does this stance look right?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1990 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, 306ci
1978 F150 Ranger, 545 Stroker
1973 Mexican Mach 1 ( final confirmation TBD), 351C
[url=https://ibb.co/kqFMPqf][img]https://i.ibb.co/GCjFrCL/pic1.jpg[/img][/url]
I'm parked on a very small incline, but I feel like the hood is up too high, or the butt is too low.  I have new OEM shocks and springs from 2 months ago. I'd like to have some rake in the stance.

I may need to go with oversize tires on the back...which I've been thinking about anyway

To me that looks like the stock stance, or even a level stance taking into account the slight incline. Many stock musclecars came with that type of stance, with the rear end a little lower. It looks like the car is ready to pounce when standing still. Actually I think your rear end would be a little lower for a stock stance. There are several methods to raise the rear a little if you want to do that, but it is not recommended to do it using air shocks. The metal around the upper shock mount wasn't designed to support the weight of the car like that. Plenty of people have done just that of course when the cars were new or close to new, and it would work ok for a while as long as there are no rust or other issues weakening the metal there.

I don't think it is a case of the back end being low, but rather the front end being high. I would look at a set of front lowering springs or cut the coils you have to lower the front.

After looking at a lot of these cars, I've noticed that even low-mile examples of these cars tend to experience some spring sag. I would consider new rear springs, or get your existing ones re-arched. That would likely change the stance.

I did both new fronts and rear, both with a little higher spring rate. I also run P225/60R15 on the front with P275/60R15 on the back. Now my stance is slightly higher in the rear, and I like the look. The picture below is low-resolution, but I think it gives you an idea of the stance.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on TommyK's reply. When i've replaced my front coils with stiffer ones, also cut them.

Its not just the stance/look, by having the car nose bits lower, you take less wind that tries to lift it further up,

you also regain another 2 to 3 meters of visible road ahead when you're inside!

@71coop, your car has the stance I am going for. it has a rake from front to back, oversized wheels in back. I don't like cars or trucks that squat. I had to chase a squat on my 78 Ranger, finally adding an extra 2" in the rear.

does someone have the spec's on a 15" rim that fits our cars? I don't know the offset/backspacing etc. I'd like to order a set of rims/tires from tire rack that ship mounted and ready for install...

The backspacing will depend on the width of rims (which depends on the tire width) that you get. The rule of thumb for backspacing on our cars is one-half the rim width plus 1/2 inch. So, an 8 inch wide wheel would have a 4-1/2" backspace. The rule of thumb for wheel width is 75% of the tire section width. Backspacing and wheel sizes have been discussed many times on the forum. Do a search for wheels or backspace and you will find more than you can read in a day. The Search function is under the More tab at the upper right of this page.

I ordered and have my original 73 Mach 1 and yes they did sit lower in the rear when brand new. I put helper springs around the shocks the week I got mine. 

I posted the Ford assembly manual I think last week with the factory measurements for the stance of the car. I will go back and find it and post a link here later.

My car with the helper springs and original type tires and factory wheels.

Here is link to the info that Ford used to check ride height on a 73 Mustang. This information is from Osborne he has the Ford documents his dad got years ago. Hard to read it looks like copy of copy of copy, lol. https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-what-is-the-correct-ride-height-for-our-cars

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm parked on a very small incline, but I feel like the hood is up too high, or the butt is too low.  I have new OEM shocks and springs from 2 months ago. I'd like to have some rake in the stance.

I may need to go with oversize tires on the back...which I've been thinking about anyway

I would drive it more to let everything settle, 2 months old how many miles driven?

probably not much yet.

Im liking the rear lower lately, as original

Did you check out my reply to your other thread (regarding the backspacing/offset)?  I posted up pictures and everything.   :cool:

4.5" of backspacing on those 15x10s with 295s might not fit exactly how you would like.

BTW - mine sits pretty much the same as yours, just a little too high in the front for my liking, and not quite high enough in the rear, either.  I'm after the old school look - not the 'wannabe gasser,' though... a little bit of rake with the big fatties under the rear with the front just about "that much" lower.

Here's a shot from a recent car show.  Nose is a little higher than I'd like.

20190323-01-1-1024x682.jpg

I'd bought a Super Suspension Kit from a vendor who's no longer in business, and I'm thinking they tossed in the heavy-duty big block front coil springs - those things have not settled a bit since 2011 when I first installed them.  I'm looking to replace them with a set of adjustable coil-overs from Aldan American, or TCP, or the like.  They'll bolt-in to replace the factory coils and shock assemblies without needing to replace the control arms or any other components.  I'm just a little reluctant to pull the trigger on the $700+ price tag to replace perfectly good suspension components.

Anyway - hope this helps.

i'm planning to upgrade the rear wheels/tires to 15 X10 wheels with 295/50R/15 tires. I was just looking at my car, it looks tight. I know others have fit these size wheels/tires. the top of my wheel well is 26.5" off the ground. does that sound right?

random 4 number generator

Back