Donor Car

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Convertible
Just want to verify that most parts are interchangeable for my 1972 convertible. I have found a 1971 Coupe Donor in very good shape body wise, no rust and also has new interior installed, missing engine. I am needing doors, one fender, hood and a few interior part. This donor is cheaper than buying new parts and used doors. Please let me know if I am wrong in my understand, as in my introduction, I am new to Ford.

It's always good to have a good parts car on hand. You will be surprised on all the odds and ends that you will use from it.
I never do a car project without a good parts car or two. If you have the room it is a god send. It is the best 3D manual money can buy. We also always seem to make some money selling or trading extra parts when all is said and done.

It is also fun to have an excuse to keep hunting for cars even though you already have a project that you are working on.

We found a 71 M code Ram Air Convertible for $700.00 in a barn plus a 73 H code Convertible for another $700.00 that was sitting out in the field behind the barn. Just talked to a neighbor that has a wrecked 72 Grande on his mothers farm that he says I can simply have if I want to haul it home. He knows nothing about the car other than it has been there as long as he can remember. It will be a fun day trip to go and get it!

We have 18 acres so it is easy to stuff a car or two back into the woods.

2uyhfyb.jpg

Paul of MO

Ok guy, was getting ready to pull the trigger for the 1971 Coupe as my donor car and I was talking to one at work and they were telling me about a 1973 convertible that would make a good donor. My question is there a benefit of one over the other to be used for my 1972 convertible. I think the 73 will cost a little more. I do need a passenger front fender, will either the 71 or the 73 work on my 72.

Thanks

73's have a different notch for the front bumper than a 71 or 72.

If you do not need any top frame or convertible trim items then go with the car that has the most parts that you need and want. Everything on the parts car that you do not have to buy is something you do not have to buy.

Paul of Mo

do I smell the makings of a 72 convertible hard top?
Mustang Spyder?
More like spiders in the parts car...... and wasp.......mice........things that smell......coins under the seats.......a perfect build sheet unlike your "good" car.......skunky gas......bondo......rust.......unopened packages of 1157 bulbs that have corroded in the trunk.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Back seat, and inner quarter panels will not fit, I believe everything else will work
+1

also the Roof might not fit :D
Funny...the roof won't fit but the drip rail trim might :p

Ok guy, was getting ready to pull the trigger for the 1971 Coupe as my donor car and I was talking to one at work and they were telling me about a 1973 convertible that would make a good donor. My question is there a benefit of one over the other to be used for my 1972 convertible. I think the 73 will cost a little more. I do need a passenger front fender, will either the 71 or the 73 work on my 72.

Thanks
73's are different in a lot of ways...go with the other car

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 72 Mach1 parts car that I wont get rid of till my 71 Mach1 is done. I have had 4 other parts cars that I have grabbed some thing from then parted out and maid some cash back for the project. So I say to get both.:cool:

I went through this with My 72 vert. 72 is stand alone Year for most parts on the front. a parts catalog is a good way to determine what You can interchange. Wiring harness is a bitch.

Back