Donor found

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey just a FYI it looks like your fold down frame work is out of an early 71 ,,, no support on sides of the trap door

Later 71 and 72-3's had full metal panels on both sides of the trap door

Ford must have added these for support reasons ... you may want to fabricate something while it's all open.

I can probably get you some pictures if you need them

Hope you got the spare tire mount for the fold down. It moves the spare to the RH side and has to be a space saver spare. BF Goodrich was the mfg. They are pretty expensive and ask for it to be inflated before you purchase. Also be cautious several people got killed inflating them when new they explode if too much air in. Just the bracket is usually around $100. A correct NOS spare can be hundreds.

Pic of the bracket and a space saver spare.

Also do some research there are several different versions of the spare. Some earlier some later. The later ones are cheap and not sought after but people try to pass them off as for earlier cars. There are also Chrysler wheels and GM wheels. Know for sure what you are looking at before you buy.

Looks like it is going pretty good hope everything fits when you get doors and trunk lid on.

Hey just a FYI it looks like your fold down frame work is out of an early 71 ,,, no support on sides of the trap door

Ford must have added these for support reasons ... you may want to fabricate something while it's all open.

Thanks For the help. I did notice they were different and got some photos from another guy. I am going to need a early 71 hood latch to. IMG_5047.jpgIMG_5773.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope you got the spare tire mount for the fold down. It moves the spare to the RH side and has to be a space saver spare. BF Goodrich was the mfg. They are pretty expensive and ask for it to be inflated before you purchase. Also be cautious several people got killed inflating them when new they explode if too much air in. Just the bracket is usually around $100. A correct NOS spare can be hundreds.

Also do some research there are several different versions of the spare. Some earlier some later. The later ones are cheap and not sought after but people try to pass them off as for earlier cars. There are also Chrysler wheels and GM wheels. Know for sure what you are looking at before you buy.

Looks like it is going pretty good hope everything fits when you get doors and trunk lid on.

Thanks for the info. I just made note of it in my growing list. The floors on the shell were done by the previous owner and weren’t done the best. I decided to leave them as is instead of redoing them.

Thanks For the help. I did notice they were different and got some photos from another guy. I am going to need a early 71 hood latch to.

It would be easy enough to make some sheet metal supports if you haven't already bought some

If you need the dual mount style for a mach 1 the L & R extensions are expensive and hard to find

You can use the later single mount type as long as your not looking to be concours correct

Thanks for the info. I just made note of it in my growing list. The floors on the shell were done by the previous owner and weren’t done the best. I decided to leave them as is instead of redoing them.

Can you tell me what went here IMG_5548.jpg

Newold.

That is the spare tire bracket the "J" hook attaches to. If you look at Davids illustration of the space saver tire bracket you will will notice a similar style place for the "J" hook bolt to attach to that bracket. (The basic number 1488 shown for the bolt in the illustration is incorrect, the correct number is 1448).     :)

Got some work done on the seat transfer and some undercoating

IMG_5748.jpgIMG_5752.jpg

Finished up the fold down seat conversion. Much easier and better than I anticipated. Starting on paint today. Engine bay, and argent bottom. Thinking about converting my side windows to wind down instead of stationary IMG_5887.jpgIMG_5889.jpgIMG_5891.jpg

He managed to get some painting done. So happy right now IMG_6062.jpgIMG_6040.jpgIMG_6042.jpg

wow, looking good with fresh paint ! soon the climb down from the summit as you refit all the parts !

Fitting panels today. Probably 4 hours for two guys fitting and adjusting 2 doors and 2 fenders. OMG!! Talk about testing my patience. Then get to fitting the trunk lid. I bought the shell with some work already done, and this area was one of the portions already done. Trunk lid was 1/8 wider than the opening for it and gaps were not good. So a grinder, Jack and welder was needed after paint. Something that probably should of been caught before but wasn’t. So I leave knowing my body man/mechanic/brother needed some, me time, to think about things. Then 1 hour later I get these photos. It sure pays to trust and have confidence in the person doing the work. I am blessed IMG_6244.jpgIMG_6245.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back