Don't be this mustang/car guy

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'73 mustang convt.
I was at the gas station with the 82 Cherokee. It's a cool ride and I go off road with it. A guys starts asking questions:

What year

Does it have a chevy motor

how much chrome under the hood?

Typical stuff.

So finally he tells me: " I have a restored 69 Mach 1".... "It is worth about seventy grand". Then he tells me about some other cool cars he has. A seventy something camero, a seventy something GMC pickup. Fortunately he didn't feel the need to tell me their value.

I told him I had a 73 and he asked if that was me in the blue convertible he saw around. He was really cool about it.

But folks really, never end a sentence with "It is worth about xxx".

If they know old cars they know what it is worth, if they don't, well they don't care.

Now mind you, if someone said to me. "I have a 70 barracuda with a factory 440 six pack, convertible and 4 speed" I might say "WOW, that's a rare bird, I bet it is worth some green" then you might boast a little.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get people asking what our station wagon is worth all the time. It's a bit awkward to me, I usually say to my family it is priceless and leave it at that.

Weird of somebody to just throw a number out there unsolicited.

Ah yes, the unfortunate side of the classic car hobby (especially muscle cars): The manner in which it attracts insecure, rich jerks who use their collection to justify their inflated self-importance to anyone who may listen.

If the first thing out of someone's mouth is what the car's worth, chances are they've never set their fingers on the car anywhere but the steering wheel, and do not appreciate nor care how much effort it takes to maintain and refurbish one of these beasts.

-Kurt

I met a fellow at a local car show about 2 years ago, he had a 70 Boss 429, we got talking and he was telling how he just finished the restoration. He was very cool about not making a huge deal out of what it was appraised for and in the end he said it's meant to be driven.....lol....just not to the grocery store and never out of his sight.

I met a fellow at a local car show about 2 years ago, he had a 70 Boss 429, we got talking and he was telling how he just finished the restoration. He was very cool about not making a huge deal out of what it was appraised for and in the end he said it's meant to be driven.....lol....just not to the grocery store and never out of his sight.
Now there's someone we can all appreciate - a person in it for the enjoyment of what these cars are; not for what they're worth, or the amount of attention they get.

-Kurt

Oddly, my cars real monetary value is probably the very lazt thing that is ever on my mind. Of course I "value" it tremendously, as I do anything of mine, but for what it does for me, not its cash value.

Everything I have done on the car, every dime I have ever spent, has been done without a moments hesitation because I like the car...not as a method to maintain or increase it cash value.

I spent what at the time was considered "stupid money" on the car many years ago when those around me would say " it isn't worth the investment...you will never get your money out of it."

I have never thought about things that way: just concerned about thier cash values and nothing else. If so, I would just keep every dollar invested and never spend a frivilous cent.

To me, money is good for only one thing: a tool to be used to live and enjoy your life.

Money, by itself is worthless: you cannot eat it, sleep with it, dance with it, live in it, share good times with it, help others with it, or protect your family from harm with it.

But as a tool, and if used wisely it can assist you to do all of those things, and more.

If I want something bad enough...I'll buy it. I don't care what it costs. If I can afford it and I want it I'll buy it.

When those lookie-loos at cruise nights seem to only be interested in "what its worth", I quickly lose interest in them.

If the cash value of cars is what turns these people on so much, they should just walk around the lot at a new Ford Dealer. They can see dozens of vehicles worth $30,000....$50,000...maybe even more.

I never think about that with my car, or when I am appreciating someone elses.

I am more impressed when I look at someones car and notice no wax built up around the edges of decals, or black gaskets ( instead of body- colored paint) under the door mirrors, or an exhaust tip that is straight and centered in the opening.

Those details demonstrate how much value the car has to its owner.

Huhhhhh figures.

When I'm at a car show or cruise in and there are "lookie loos" and they ask what my car is worth I usually respond probably less than what it cost for me to restore it. What tha hell if you are so pompous to disregard someone because they dont know the lingo, are not astute as some people here on values, they probably also dont know they are looking at a car some azzhat with 10 or 100 times more money than them isnt worth talking to.

Most people come to car shows and cruise in's because they love the old cars but dont know much about them. They are CURIOUS,they love what WE HAVE...and probably couldnt afford a junker if the truth is known. I cant tell you how many guys have come up to one of my cars and said "I dont have the money right now but I'm gonna get one of those one of these days". I hope I never become the AZZHAT that some are that I would ignore that guy. Hell he loves what I have and will probably NEVER get a chance to own much more than rent he has to pay.

With exception to some who DO have a lot of money and are checkbook restoration guys and are azzhats too, .... I cant stand them just as the thread was started. But some guy that doesnt have a clue and all he wants to do is look at a cool car...probably doesnt know he is suppose to be an encyclopedia on cars to be "respected" he just wants to say to somebody he knows...hey I was at this car show and talk to this guy that owned a XXXX and man that was a cool car and he'll do his best to recite what he thought he heard, and the owner was really nice and told me about it.

Case in point I can take the convertible and tell somebody "they only painted 35 that color for 67" and 9 out of ten times they will respond "yeah I've seen them before" (uhhh dude I just told you there are only 35 that's less than 1 per state:huh::D) Now i've commented on how that sounds ridiculous but I also dont let it bother me because they just want to talk about cars they know nothing about and hope to chat with a nice guy in return.

If you don't like talking to people that are not as smart as you...DONT GO TO A CAR SHOW!

Nobody was dissing the general public for lack of knowledge or suggesting discrimination upon it.

However, owners who use stories of over-inflated values, lies, tall-tales, and one-upmanship to inflate their own ego are almost never worth talking to.

-Kurt

Nobody was dissing the general public for lack of knowledge or suggesting discrimination upon it.

However, owners who use stories of over-inflated values, lies, tall-tales, and one-upmanship to inflate their own ego are almost never worth talking to.

-Kurt
Well I 100% disagree with the first statement however not 100% of the responses and 100% agree with the second.

I have a problem with owners that look down on the general public for asking what we might think is a private or stupid question. If you dont like dumb people STAY HOME. Hell that may be the only entertainment they can afford and the owners that dismiss them gives all of us a bad name. I will spend time with whom ever wants to discuss the car. Honestly I find them nicer to talk to than other car owners because the owners are the jerks not the public. I do agree with "dont touch my car" from ANY OWNER. That is his or her investment and keep your hands off even it you own 100. I've watched people walk up to owners and they will walk off if they think the lookie-loo wants to chat. Personally I like people and will spend time..that's why I'm showing the car for my enjoyment and their entertainment. If they let their kid lean on my car...well I politely suggest they remove the child and it usually works.

it's just like on another forum...folks come on and just bought a car and ask very basic questions. There is always a kind guy that will treat them like dumbazz's. They come to us for a resource. Now if its a guy playing a game...well open season.

Kurt,

I am a little confused by your stance: Who exactly are you calling an "asshat"( whatever that is)?

If your primary goal with your car was to do something to impress and entertain others who appreciate looking at nice old classic cars, well I see nothing wrong with that...you are obviously sharing the excitement and joy the car brings to you with other interested parties.

However, there are other owners of classic cars out there that are not necessarily doing this for anyone other than themselves. I think I would fall more readily in that category.

I love it when the lookie-loos ask questions about the car, and don't even mind a "what's it worth?" question...those are all about the car.

But when they ask "How much did you get it for?", or "How much did that paint job cost you?" or "How much would you selk it for right now?"...well, I find those type of questions a little personal and off-putting coming from someone I don't even know.

One of my vices is that I like and collect watches, and I have a few that have some considerable value.

If someone happens to notice and says " nice watch" I say thank you and move on.

But if I get "Geez, how much did that thing cost?" or "What'd you pay for that?"...I get annoyed and change the subject.

I love the interest from others about my car, just not much the personal questions that aren't really about the car, per se.

I hope that don't make me an asshat!

If your primary goal with your car was to do something to impress and entertain others who appreciate looking at nice old classic cars, well I see nothing wrong with that...you are obviously sharing the excitement and joy the car brings to you with other interested parties.
Absolutely. My comments were not about simple sharing of excitement that comes through owning one of these cars* but an observation that some people use the car purely for impressing their existence to others. Many shallow, arrogant people who you wouldn't want to know in the first place find their outlet for adoration through flaunting their car as an extension of their overinflated ego.

Will E's encounter was a perfect example. If that guy believed that he could have held up a sign on a street corner stating "I'm rich, I'm arrogant, and I want everyone to know how cool it is to be me" and attained the same effect - well, he probably wouldn't have bothered buying the cars.

*Rule #1: Never keep the seats too perfect, because taking the neighborhood kids for a ride - both the big and the little ones - can put a smile on someone's face and warm fuzzies in the heart. Make the world feel beautiful for someone, if only for a minute.

However, there are other owners of classic cars out there that are not necessarily doing this for anyone other than themselves. I think I would fall more readily in that category.

I love it when the lookie-loos ask questions about the car, and don't even mind a "what's it worth?" question...those are all about the car.
Almost everyone on this forum seems to go by that philosophy. That's why this forum is a great community.

But when they ask "How much did you get it for?"' date=' or "How much did that paint job cost you?" or "How much would you selk it for right now?"...well, I find those type of questions a little personal and off-putting coming from someone I don't even know.[/quote']
I wouldn't mind "how much did you get it for," but "how much is it worth?" is not particularly a good lead-in.

It's a less intrusive way to say "how rich does this (fill in the blank) make you?" - an off-putting comment from anyone, at any time. It's an airhead's method of figuring out where you fall on their totem pole of importance.

I love the interest from others about my car, just not much the personal questions that aren't really about the car, per se.

I hope that don't make me an asshat!
It doesn't. It only means that you enjoy that others share your appreciation of these Mustangs as a piece of striking automotive design, or an impressive show of performance engineering of the period. Heck, that's what brought all of us here in the first place.

-Kurt

P.S.: Kit, you'll never be an asshat. You're a gentleman through and through, if not one of my favorite contributors to the forum and our hobby. Nobody is expected to have the patience of a saint when some vapor-brained Jersey Shore fanboy wants to ruin your day by telling you how the presence of your car at the gas station makes them feel awesome.

Here's another Mustang guy not to be.....

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/4676605613.html

PLEASE show me where you INVESTED that much.....

images

I DARE ya....I DOUBLE DOG dare ya

I think people ask us how much our cars are worth because that is the only thing they can ask where they at least feel they can relate. They don't know about V8's or Mach 1's but they can say "oh yeah it's worth this much". I get the same how much is it worth question all the time. I usually just say I don't know and it's only worth what someone will pay for it. Plus I drive my classics on a regular basis. They aren't investments. They are my hobby and toys. If the value goes up great. If not oh well.

I think people ask us how much our cars are worth because that is the only thing they can ask where they at least feel they can relate. They don't know about V8's or Mach 1's but they can say "oh yeah it's worth this much". I get the same how much is it worth question all the time. I usually just say I don't know and it's only worth what someone will pay for it. Plus I drive my classics on a regular basis. They aren't investments. They are my hobby and toys. If the value goes up great. If not oh well.

Good for you! Most often folks just want to chat and share what they THINK they know with what they PERCEIVE as a "COOL" guy that has a cool car to converse with. Most often as noted by some here...they experience just the opposite.

Case in point I was at the barber today. He is a car guy well known for miles... has a dang nice 150 placement car show every year. Has his customers cars pictures hanging on the wall all around his shop. One Jackazz here in the area is well known. So as I'm leaving Wade says...there's a car show coming up at the Rockets Stadium. I ask ''who's hosting this" he says "Mike ......" me: "that's okay I can find reruns of law and order on tv" Wade: he LOL.... shakes his head and reponds..."man I'm glad you said that....just about everybody hates him" Me: "yeah well he is a jackazz...I love his 66 Vette, but he is a jackazz"

That conversation took place because if you walk up and accidently say something that is not perfect content ...he will RUDELY interrupt you and CORRECT you then treat you like shhheeeeOT for being so stupid asking or making stupid statements.

He inspires me to be nice to people!!!!!

I met the exact same type in Daytona. He is a Batman enthusiast ( and a pilot) and along with his gorgeous Batmobile and Batcycle replicas, he also owns the actual Batcopter from the '66 Batman movie ( and they used stock footage of this in subsequent episodes of the TV show).

It is basically all stock but with a custom "Batman" paint job. Originally there were huge "wings".attached to it to make it look more "Batman-y". They were really just curved aluminum triangle-shaped frames with canvas stretched across them.

When he had it displayed, there were no wings attached. I asked him if it had the wings on it when he got it, and his response was ( I kid you not):

"Why don't you look up that hull # on the side and call the FAA to see if it is registered as the same one on the show if you don't believe its authentic."

I said I wasn't questioning the authenticity...I just wondered why no wings on it today? He says "Can you fly a helicopter"? I say no, he says "I didn't think so...those wings make this almost un-flyable. You think I should risk death just so you can pay $5 to look at it?"

At that point, I was ready to get into it. I don't suffer fools and assholes often ( as some here may remember).

I said " did you fly it here, or pull it on this trailer? ( it was strapped onto a trailer)". He just stared with a dumb look on his face...I continued:"...because if you didn't fly it, and just trailered it...which you obviously did...then what difference do the F'n wings make?"

As he was about to say something I said "Go F yourself, Bat-jerk!", and we walked away.

My wife, of course, thinks I instigated the whole thing.

Last edited:
I met the exact same type in Daytona. He is a Batman enthusiast ( and a pilot) and along with his gorgeous Batmobile and Batcycle replicas, he also owns the actual Batcopter from the '66 Batman movie ( and they used stock footage of this in subsequent episodes of the TV show).

It is basically all stock but with a custom "Batman" paint job. Originally there were huge "wings".attached to it to make it look more "Batman-y". They were really just curved aluminum triangle-shaped frames with canvas stretched across them.

When he had it displayed, there were no wings attached. I asked him if it had the wings on it when he got it, and his response was ( I kid you not):

"Why don't you look up that hull # on the side and call the FAA to see if it is registered as the same one on the show if you don't believe its authentic."

I said I wasn't questioning the authenticity...I just wondered why no wings on it today? He says "Can you fly a helicopter"? I say no, he says "I didn't think so...those wings make this almost un-flyable. You think I should risk death just so you can pay $5 to look at it?"

At that point, I was ready to get into it. I don't suffer fools and assholes often ( as some here may remember).

I said " did you fly it here, or pull it on this trailer? ( it was strapped onto a trailer)". He just stared with a dumb look on his face...I continued:"...because if you didn't fly it, and just trailered it...which you obviously did...then what difference do the F'n wings make?"

As he was about to say something I said "Go F yourself, Bat-jerk!", and we walked away.

My wife, of course, thinks I instigated the whole thing.
If I owned the original Batcopter and was taking it to shows I would not rest until I had a set of clip-on wings made up for showing purposes only.

Batcopter_(1966).png

The infamous WINGLESS Bat-Jerk copter.

Along with his Batmobile and Bat-Cycle.

I noticed that the rocket tubes on the rear deck of the Batmobile are too far apart from each other (I think)

I was so pissed off at this guy's bad attitude that it ruined the rest of the show for me. As soon as I got home, I found his website ( Eugene Nock of "Nock Air") that I wrote to him on his website email and vented on him. No respo9nse of course...

zpfile000.jpg

zpfile007.jpg

zpfile004.jpg

zpfile008.jpg

zpfile003.jpg

Last edited:
The infamous Bat-Jerk copter.
How much do you want to bet that it is a replica? Look at the skids; they're different, and the shape alone explains why the wings aren't present. That's not to say they can't be changed - but why change them at all?

My theory (which may be wrong, but is worth a shot) is that Mr. Nock's attitude is nothing more than Alameda Delusional Syndrome: He claims it's original, but knows it isn't - and so protects his fraud by verbally attacking anyone who seems to have the ability and knowledge to expose his dishonesty.

Holy replica dishonesty Batman!

Either that, or he's had enough fools try to "impress" him with their "knowledge" that he doesn't have patience for anyone anymore. In which case, there isn't any point in showing it.

-Kurt

Back