Don't Disturb the Neighbors

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
1971 Ranchero
I'm wondering if any of you have any tricks for quieting your cars when running them in the garage. I have been working through tuning 3 different carbs and warm up the engine in the garage and adjust the carb before making a test run. I do my best to keep it at a minimum, but I'm sure it's something they don't enjoy. When I first got the engine running, I had a set of Purple Hornies on it...those are basically enmormous glass packs...straight through and 3" ID. They were pretty loud and the neighbor directly across the street complained on a day I was doing a series of cooling system flushes. Right after that, I installed a pair of dynomax turbo mufflers...much quieter, but still somewhat loud. I'm thinking maybe to close the garage 2/3rds and using a fan to push the exhaust out...I did that last summer and probably killed some brain cells with CO...not to mention the heat in the garage.

Interested in what you folks may have encountered and what you did about it?

Get some flexible ductwork that fits over your exhaust pipes and run it out the garage. Close the garage door but leave enough room for the ducts. Or you can put a pet door in the garage door and run the ducts out the pet door.

In addition to running ducting, a person can run the ducts straight up through the roof, or duct straight out but put Supertraps on the outlets. The idea in both cases is to difuse the sound direction from pointing straight towards the neighbors. Of course, the point here is that your car may just be un-necessarily too loud. See below....the fine print at the bottom isn't seen until you click on it.

Attachments

• 1908324_862936820414893_3776381803678647439_n.jpg
    1908324_862936820414893_3776381803678647439_n.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 1
Hi Basstrix,

Was wondering when this one would come up for discussion.

We go back to around 2012, about a year after i bought my '73 Vert. I live on a typical small inner city suburban block with my neighbors close by on both sides. My exhaust system has always been very loud, so back then i came up with an invention that would enable me to start my car up to work on it and also exit my home with minimal noise.

I talked to my custom shop exhaust guy, and described to him the concept i was chasing. Basically, my idea was to get hold of some small (standard) mufflers that were like the old Seventies Hot Dog mufflers by design and shape. We got lucky, and modified a pair that could be inserted into the existing stainless steel tip exhaust ends and up and into the pipes. We also set up a thumbscrew idea, at the other end of the pipes, that secured the new muffler pipes once they were inserted, so they could not vibrate loose and come out. Small grab handles were also welded on to make removal more easy.

I also bought a small tool box to carry a set of leather gloves ( for the heat handling)and to store the two mini mufflers away once you were out on the road and decided you wanted to remove them. The end result was a winner, as when in use, the sound was bought back to a stock standard factory quiet noise level. Problem solved. Also, when using the mini mufflers, it did not detract from the performance of the engine as to having them on as such. No difference there at all. The only other idea is to get a custom exhaust system set up where you can remote control and adjust the sound levels when driving inside your car. (shut offs and by pass systems ). I believe these systems are fairly expensive to buy and install though.

Finally, it's a bit of a bore, when you want to use them, in relation to removing and refitting them, but given the big improvement on db reduction, it's worth the effort. I don't have any complaints from my neighbors as it goes. These mini mufflers are great and work well if i am leaving home at odd hours, such as early in the morning or late at night. See my old pics below of what i came up with...........................

Greg.:)

Attachments

• IMG_7683.JPG
    IMG_7683.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7681.JPG
    IMG_7681.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7680.JPG
    IMG_7680.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7679.JPG
    IMG_7679.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7678.JPG
    IMG_7678.JPG
  • IMG_7677.JPG
    IMG_7677.JPG
  • IMG_7676.JPG
    IMG_7676.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7675.JPG
    IMG_7675.JPG
  • IMG_7674.JPG
    IMG_7674.JPG
Last edited:
Thanks guys,

Yeah, i have always been that way where i get a kick out of being creative and inventive in my approach to many things in life. A lot of fun, and very satisfying as well. Good to pass on my achievements to help others as well.

Cheers,

Greg.(y)

Back