Door handle

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chopper

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
H code 351c
Edelbrock intake, 4bb Holley carb
Hey guys got a tricky one at least for me, my driver door handle has ceased to work, I could feel it getting weaker and after a few weeks it feels like it’s no longer being able to grab anything.

Do the springs on the back hold something that may have broken?

And any thoughts on best way to remove the door card?

Thanks for the help guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take the door panel off and make sure the metal rod is still hooked to the handle lever and on the door latch other end. There is a hole with a clip that locks over the rod on each end it may have come loose or broken and the rod has slipped out of the hole.

Also, I assume the inside handle and push lock are still functioning.

Last edited by a moderator:
i had a problem like that.  you need to remove the driver's seat to get access to the door panel .  then all the other parts that hold the panel on .its a pain in the hine .i  have a convertible so the seat removal was a bit easier .

Take the door panel off and make sure the metal rod is still hooked to the handle lever and on the door latch other end. There is a hole with a clip that locks over the rod on each end it may have come loose or broken and the rod has slipped out of the hole.

Also, I assume the inside handle and push lock are still functioning.

Inside handle is still functioning correctly, it sounds like this is the answer I’m looking for.

The door lock has not functioned correctly since I got it painted, huge pain but I don’t leave it alone outside very long ever.

Do your door panel a favor and pick up a door panel removal tool which helps pop out the clips without tearing the cardboard backing to pieces. It's an essential tool for anyone with a vintage car that needs occasional service inside the door.

The door handle is pot metal so it's possible something cracked -- or one of the clips pictured above broke. They're nylon so original ones are very brittle these days.

Do your door panel a favor and pick up a door panel removal tool which helps pop out the clips without tearing the cardboard backing to pieces. It's an essential tool for anyone with a vintage car that needs occasional service inside the door.

The door handle is pot metal so it's possible something cracked -- or one of the clips pictured above broke. They're nylon so original ones are very brittle these days.

Yeah it seems like that something failed on me

Back