Door hinge

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ripper679

Reaction score
Hello! Just wondering if it is a good idea to replace the door hinges while I have my fenders off. The car has less than 80k miles on it and they don't seem terribly bad.... but was wondering if it's a good idea to pop new ones in there.

How does one tell if a door hinge is starting to wear out?
Is there a normal or acceptable amount of up and down slop?

Is there a brand you would recommend? I was goingbtonorder a set from CJ pony parts.

Thanks!

I would at least replace the pins and bushing on them. Better to replace them now than to wait until they have to be done. I replaced my drivers side and after adjusting my door a little, it closes so much better now. I will be pulling the passenger fender off in the next couple of weeks and rebuilding those hinges as well.

Tom

My thoughts would be restore your originals if possible. Parts are available.
Back in the summer, I had a torsion bar brake on the drivers door. I looked at repop hinges and after a few minutes thought, decided to buy a used original hinge just for the torsion bar. This was posted here and by all accounts repops aren't worth a damn.
If you do remove the hinges, drill a hole through big enough for a suitable pin, like 3/16-1/4" This will locate your door hinge when time to put it back together, provided of course, it's right in the first place.

If I recall it correctly, I previously saw a YouTube video from “westcoast classic cougars” on the process to repair. Not sure how old the video was, but they also indicated that they had an inventory of used OEM hinge parts and outlined the repair/replace process.
I suspect that some of the members here may also have these parts( ie. like mustangs unlimited?)

If it has 80,000 miles I cannot see how the bushings could still be good, it's best to replace them they are cheap. Here is a good video on how to do it:

Thank you everyone! U bought the pin and bushing kit. In the video it says that this can be done kn the car, my fenders are off...... so I guess I out a jack on the bottom of the door while closed and grind the pins, pop them out, replace bushings and slide a new pin in without removing the hinges? The alignment seems fine. Or do I just do one at a time so the door doesn't move?

My passenger door makes a loud Popping noise about 1/2 way open.... will the new pins fix that? The round metal tube looking part on the hinge dosent seem to have a groove on it from the roller. See attached pic.

Thanks all!

Attachments

• 16413907114675906192510083432646.jpg
    16413907114675906192510083432646.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 16413908179995683898739712342457.jpg
    16413908179995683898739712342457.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 10
Thank you everyone! U bought the pin and bushing kit. In the video it says that this can be done kn the car, my fenders are off...... so I guess I out a jack on the bottom of the door while closed and grind the pins, pop them out, replace bushings and slide a new pin in without removing the hinges? The alignment seems fine. Or do I just do one at a time so the door doesn't move?

My passenger door makes a loud Popping noise about 1/2 way open.... will the new pins fix that? The round metal tube looking part on the hinge dosent seem to have a groove on it from the roller. See attached pic.

Thanks all!
"Round metal tube looking part" is that what you're looking at in pic #1? If so, that is the torsion bar, i.e. spring. I'm not quite sure what you mean though, IF you are meaning the torsion bar, PLEASE do NOT remove it unless it is so worn it must be replaced. The pressure on them is quite high. With the fender off, you probably can twist it enough to remove/replace on the car. I had to put my hinge in a vice just to be able to install the bar.
If it were me, I'd for sure just do one at a time, but do the worst one first.

Yeah.... the torson bar. I'm thinking it looks OK. Thanks for that info!
Any idea what would cause the hinge to pop when opening the door? The door has no wiggle or slop. Just pops when opening.

Anyone ever rebuild them with the pin and bushing while on the car?

Thanks all!

Anyone ever rebuild them with the pin and bushing while on the car?
Actually, I was going to try that, in a manner of speaking. I thought about taking the fender off. Get the door where I want it and strap it to the car. Then do one hinge at a time. Call me crazy, however in my muddled mind, it might work and save me the time and hassle from pulling the door, reinstall and fidget with the adjustment.

Previously i replaced with a new hinge and it became a nightmare trying to adjust the door. Rebuilding your old ones sounds like good advice if parts are available.

I just readjusted my doors after I changed the pins and bushings and I was getting pretty frustrated until I took the striker off. I got the door adjusted without the striker, then installed the striker, adjusted it two or three times and both doors close beautifully now. I really only started with a plan to adjust my passenger door but after that came out so well, I went back and adjusted the drivers door better. Takes a lot of patience but you will get it. Good luck.

Tom

I have several sets of used hinges I need to get rid of, if you want rebuild some.

Back