Door pannels need removed for speaker installation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mexican

Reaction score
My Car
71 mustang grande
Does anybody have pictures or step by step instructions on how to take the door pannels off of a 71? I don't want to break anything:D

Does anybody have pictures or step by step instructions on how to take the door pannels off of a 71? I don't want to break anything:D
Here are a couple scans from the 1972 Ford Car shop manual and a picture of some cheap pry tools from Harbor Freight. You can use a putty knife like the manual says. The fiberboard that the trim panels is made from gets brittle with age so go very slow. If you have standard interior you have a metal piece next to the window to take off with a couple screws. The Deluxe does not have that.

If you have power windows there are clips that hold the switches into the door panel that have to be sprung out to remove. If you break one there are no replacements people look for years for them. Have someone to help you so hold the panel while you pry. Some of the spring clips might already be out and stuck in the hole in the door just pull them out and put back into the door panel. If there are broken areas you can repair them with epoxy and some time if you want. I have seen cars that people added screws that are not factory so look around the outside for any that might have been added.

Get a flash light and look where the clips are and keep the blade of your tool against the door panel and pry against the metal door.

If you are in there you should lube up your windows with some spray white grease.

Are you going with the Ford style speakers or just putting some aftermarket in? You have to be careful how deep they are or will hit widow or regulator.

If there is not a vapor barrier on the door your should make one from plastic it keeps the moisture out of your door panels.

Hope this helps just go slow and you will be fine.

David

Thanks David!!

the pannels are new, the previous owner replaced them, my car is a hard top no power windows, i see that they offer kick pannels but don't see how the driver's side would work with the ebrake pedal in the way, that would be an easier option

Thanks David!!

the pannels are new, the previous owner replaced them, my car is a hard top no power windows, i see that they offer kick pannels but don't see how the driver's side would work with the ebrake pedal in the way, that would be an easier option
Are you saying put speakers in the kick panels? There are so many wires in there and like you say the ebrake also that would be difficult.

I have the factory speaker grills and an old set of speakers that would have to be rebuilt I am sure. The wire harness is part of the power windows and I do not want to split up. I have a could sets of NOS door speakers, with grills and wires but they are for my projects.

David

I installed a set of 6" round speakers in my kick panels with out to much difficulty, as mentioned the parking brake makes things a little tight but doable. The speakers sound great in that location and I wouldn't change a thing.

I installed a set of 6" round speakers in my kick panels with out to much difficulty, as mentioned the parking brake makes things a little tight but doable. The speakers sound great in that location and I wouldn't change a thing.
can you please post up some pictures.

A pic would be lovely:D

Back