Drill out seat belt bolts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1 - Q-code auto - Medium Bright Yellow
Okay, so I'm grinding away and tried the star wrench for the rear seat belt bolts. Broke both of them and then grinded the tops off. What's the best way to remove the remaining part of the bolt???

I'm thinking of drilling it out after cutting the back side off. Any other ideas?

seat belt bolt.jpg

Okay, so I'm grinding away and tried the star wrench for the rear seat belt bolts. Broke both of them and then grinded the tops off. What's the best way to remove the remaining part of the bolt???

I'm thinking of drilling it out after cutting the back side off. Any other ideas?
You might try a backout bit...but likely you will be drilling it out. Not as big deal to do that.

Score it deep with a cutting disc, then get a REALLY big flat head screw driver.

Are you replacing that section of the floor? If so we have the new mounts.

If not, you can drill out the bolt or drill out the spots welds and replace the plate.

Don

Item #STD173

65-73 SEAT BELT ANCHOR PLATE

Replacement seat belt anchor plate. Each.

You may also try heating up the bolt with a propane torch, just keep an extinguisher handy in case the undercoat catches on fire

If you are going to slot it and try the screwdriver method, soak the heck out of the back side with penitrating oil if you haven't already. Heat may be necessary too. If you drill it out, I would consider replacing it with a new mount--safety issue there!

Thanks for the suggestion. However, these are rear seat belt anchors. Does anyone really think that mustangs had a functional rear seat? LOL. Just kidding, you're right. As I say "if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right".

Working on drilling it out on Tuesday...[/align]

Back