Drip rail moldings

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJM

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mach1,351w auto
What material is used between the roof and drip rail ? And then between it and the piece that hold the weather strip? 

You can use a close cell foam tape or a putty between the roof and the roof rails.    The drip rail just screws onto the roof over the roof rail and does not need anything.    This might help some.  The one link is broken but you can see David's pictures using roll sealant.

The foam tape has a history of not working. When I picked up my 73 Mach 1 new it rained. I had 2" of water in the rear floor. Roof rail leak. There are lots of ups and downs where metals meet the headliner and in my case a vinyl roof also. There are a series of rectangle holes that locate tabs on the trim. That is one huge leak area. NPD in their catalog states to not use the foam tape but to use strip caulk. 
I use the 3-M material with two rows of it on the rail. It never hardens and conforms to all the ups and downs. The rear floor rust is usually from roof rail leaks. Front floor rust from cowl leaks. 
Here are a couple pics from last year. I use the 3-M strip caulk around the tail lights to keep the water from getting between gasket and metal. Also where any trim goes on like the quarter panel end caps and the trim on the honey comb panel in rear. I used the Daniel Carpenter rubber strip for the roof rail perfect fit from NPD.

DSC_0962.JPG

DSC_0961.JPG

DSC_0957 (2).JPG

DSC_0950.JPG

DSC_0946 (3).JPG

DSC_0945 (3).JPG

I did mine recently as follows;

A layer of 3M strip seal between flat section of the drip rail and roof.

Windscreen sealant in the groove covering the roof drip rail and then along the inner edge of the flat section of the drip rail.

Taped up the rectangular holes and bent the tags back into the metal weather strip so that no sealant disappeared into these leaving holes. The screw holes give all the alignment needed. Two rows of 3m strip seal as per David’s photo on the inner trim and then more windscreen sealant along all edges particularly at the rear of the quarter window.

Back