Driver side mirror

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copestang

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
s-l5006y.jpg     how do i unscrew the knob so I  can replace it with a new one, I try holding the outside and unscrewing the knob but all  its do is turn

I read that, I don’t see my answer, he talked about drilling out a broken knob. I trying to unscrew the knob

Posted same question in my build thread 2 days ago...

I was told that Ford used to provide a drilling guide+how to with the knob.

Mine is broken and is basically just a tiny plug. Ordered a repro but no guide came with it.

So I guess I'll have to make one.

On the pict I see you have the old knob still in place, you could may be secure it in a vice while drilling on the other side?

That way it would not turn and you should be able to drill it out.

There are also bits available made to remove old broken studs using reverse rotation, but I don't know if they exist in this tiny size.

mine has the same mirror and it is threaded.. std right hand thread. i advise putting some penetrating oil on it first. my knob was broken so i had to drill and re-thread it. the new replacement knob was threaded too.

Here are the Ford instructions to drill out and replace the knob. It has details on drill bit size and hole depth etc. if you have a broken adjustment knob on you LH remote mirror, you can drill out the old broken shaft and get a repro or look for the Ford repair and replacement mirror knob kit (D6AZ-17B718-A).

Back