Dual advance hose route?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhvidston

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang conv 302
1973 Mustang conv 351
Greetings

Need help finding proper vacuum hose route on my 71 conv. 302 2v auto, no A/C...

Although I've had the car many years, I went to check it for first Spring drive

and notice that one of the vacuum lines had come loose from the dual advance

on the distributor... now I can't seem to locate where in came from?

The one long line that IS connected goes all the way back to the intake manifold control tree...

Not sure where the short hose connects.

Most diagrams I see show another vacuum control tree up front behind the alternator.. mine does not have this (?)

Any help, photos or diagrams would be appreciated!

Thanks

Doug in Indy

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this photo that looks like the engine in my convertible...

looks like the short hose tucks back under the distributor?

can anyone confirm?

can anyone confirm?

Thanks Frank.. appreciate the effort.. however... this seems to be the problem I'm running into...

most of the diagrams i see are for 1973 or 351C, both of which are different than my early 71 302 2v.

I thought I could just check on my low milage 351 C. - 1973 conv. survivor car parked next to the 71... but

the plumbing is not the same...

any early 71 diagrams or pics out there?

can anyone confirm?
No photo.
Hmmm.. not sure .. I tried adding jpg a couple times... not uploading (?)

Doug 

Referring to the shop manual, there is no difference between 302 or 351 when it comes to the vacuum lines for a distributor with dual advance system.

The distributor vacuum control valve is sitting on your manifold reaching into the coolant water. It has three tubes. From top to bottom you have to connect to following connectors:

Top: carburetor or modulator vacuum

Middle: distributor - advance side

Bottom: manifold vacuum 

Frank

Last edited by a moderator:
You might see if yours is in one of the attachments in this thread

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-vacuum-hose-diagrams?pid=246021#pid246021
Thank you Don... the diagrams you provided are extremely helpful!!

It appears that mine most closely relates to " Vacuum Hose Routing 1971 302 w/o Ported Vacuum Switch with Dual Diaphragm Dist."!

I'm going to try again to send photos... but according to the diagram... I also had the "red" & "yellow" mx hoses reversed on the diaphragm..

although the car has run fine in this position for years (?)

Still trying to suss out where the "yellow" hose terminates from the diaphragm??? Looks like it plugs into the carb base somewhere?!

I have yet to find that location... will keep you posted.

Doug in Indy

Doug

for further vacuum diagrams look on

https://www.mustangbarn.com/technical-information

When you scroll down, you will find this:

with every line being a link to the image.

Cheers Frank

Thank you Frank! These are great drawings... found out I had "red" hose in wrong spot on diaphragm ... Still trying to determine where "yello" hose plugs in?

Going by memory here, but I think the connection for your yellow hose should be behind the right front (passenger side) mounting stud/nut, a small brass tube that points towards the passenger side front fender. Might be kind of hidden by the choke.

Going by memory here, but I think the connection for your yellow hose should be behind the right front (passenger side) mounting stud/nut, a small brass tube that points towards the passenger side front fender. Might be kind of hidden by the choke.
YOU DA MAN DON!! Great memory and description my friend! Yes, it took a little hunting under the choke for the brass fitting.

Curious to see how the ol girl runs now!

you see... I really needed to get our Mustang running before Saturday... our Mustang club has lost two members to the Coronavirus in recent weeks

and one other just got out of the hospital... we are having a "drive-by" memorial past the fellow's home.. and cemetery to help bring closure to our group.

Sad part is... we had not been active as a club since March.. trying to keep everyone safe. Like the rest of us.. will be glad when this all passes.

Thanks so much for everyone's help today!

Doug in Indy

YOU DA MAN DON!! Great memory and description my friend! Yes, it took a little hunting under the choke for the brass fitting.

Curious to see how the ol girl runs now!

you see... I really needed to get our Mustang running before Saturday... our Mustang club has lost two members to the Coronavirus in recent weeks

and one other just got out of the hospital... we are having a "drive-by" memorial past the fellow's home.. and cemetery to help bring closure to our group.

Sad part is... we had not been active as a club since March.. trying to keep everyone safe. Like the rest of us.. will be glad when this all passes.

Thanks so much for everyone's help today!

Doug in Indy

Took her out for a test drive and fuel up.. runs great! Ready for a Spring cleaning and fluid/safety check and should be good to go...and yes, 

as you can tell from the photos.. I drive my Mustang.

Back