Dual Exhaust Kits - what fits?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadwarrior

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sportroof, original V8 gage a/c 3spd car that was very unloved

1971 convertible purchased from original owner
Hello, trying to get some projects moving, a big one is getting a dual exhaust kit for my 71 fastback with a 351W and a manul trans.

I am looking at the Pypes system, #SFM04S, which sates it is a specific fit for the 71-73 year cars.

I was also considering the Flowmaster system for a 1970 Mustang, #17282, if it fits or can be easily made to fit a 71-73, as it is a more complete kit and I know more about what sound I will be getting. The basic underbody and routing is very similar for 69-70 and 71-73, so would the Flowmaster system work?

Has anyone installed either of these, the Pypes which is specific to our vehicle years, or the Flowmaster which may fit even if not specific?

I know I can probably get a shop to make something from scratch that will fit, just prefer to be doing the project myself, and have worked with kits before.

Thank you for any input,

Tom

Hello, trying to get some projects moving, a big one is getting a dual exhaust kit for my 71 fastback with a 351W and a manul trans.

I am looking at the Pypes system, #SFM04S, which sates it is a specific fit for the 71-73 year cars.

I was also considering the Flowmaster system for a 1970 Mustang, #17282, if it fits or can be easily made to fit a 71-73, as it is a more complete kit and I know more about what sound I will be getting. The basic underbody and routing is very similar for 69-70 and 71-73, so would the Flowmaster system work?

Has anyone installed either of these, the Pypes which is specific to our vehicle years, or the Flowmaster which may fit even if not specific?

I know I can probably get a shop to make something from scratch that will fit, just prefer to be doing the project myself, and have worked with kits before.

Thank you for any input,

Tom
The stock 69 exhaust was a Transverse single muffler setup, but a 70 dual muffler exhaust will fit a 69 too. From what I have seen, a stock small block dual exhuast system that fits 69 & 70 mustangs will fit 65 thru 70 years, but these systems are not listed as fitting 71-73, so I would assume the earlier 65-70 setup will not fit our cars. I would confirm the fit with the vendor you are buying the system from.

Some of the guys on here have had good luck with the Pypes kit. I could not get it to fit for shit. I ended up going to a local exhaust shop and got a complete system custom bent for about $75 more than the Pypes kit. Nice x pipe and polished mufflers too with electric cut outs.

You should probably have one made locally since the car has a Windsor in it

A 70 non transverse system will be different over the axle and under the trunk area

In the past, I have used the Flowmaster tailpipes and had the headpipes made locally to fit the headers. Keep in mind, they do not fit with staggered rear shocks.

Mustangs Unlimited has a kit that was made from an original 71-73 dual setup on a 351C-4V engine, so the tailpipes will work with staggered shocks.

FWIW, the system for the 70 will fit, as there is very little difference underneath the cars. You will have to extend the tailpipes to go past the valance.

currently working on using the pypes system with flowmaster mufflers, will update after I get it fit with pictures so you can see what we had to do to fit it.

Some of the guys on here have had good luck with the Pypes kit.  I could not get it to fit for shit. I ended up going to a local exhaust shop and got a complete system custom bent for about $75 more than the Pypes kit. Nice x pipe and polished mufflers too with electric cut outs.
Kevin, would you happen to have any pictures of your exhaust system with the electric cut outs? I've been considering the electric cut outs also, this sounds like the route I would like to go with mine if I ever get to that point. Thanks, Ryan

Ryan , I don’t have any good pics but I did find 2 on my phone. Not great but you can get the idea.  Also mine looks crooked because it is! My rearend is an 8.8" and has an offset pinion. We had to route the exhaust around the driveshaft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I have a tuned 429 giving ca 600 hp ? and has dual 3" exhaust ( traditional setup with Magnaflow 11259 straight through mufflers).

I do not have any H or X pipe.

There is no prticular peak in sound levels but there is just too much of sound and I would like to reduce it.

I am thinking of having an extra glasspack bullet type resonator.... I could fit a Dynamax 24219 in front of the MF mufflers or alternatively smaller 12619 resonators after the back axle where there is not much space.

What do you think ? Any other idea ?

Hello All, Happy New Year.

Between my originally inquiring and now, the end of the year slammed me at work, I had ordered and then cancelled the Pypes kit, and then was busy with the Holidays. Sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread,

Based on input here and elsewhere on the 'Net and in the world, I have purchased the 1970 Flowmaster kit and will give it a go for install. May need some tweaks to fit up completely, but it will give a better starting point as it has turndowns and hanging hardware, which would be extra cost for the other kit. I'll update how the install goes in the coming weeks.

Thank you again for this input, it is greatly appreciated.

Hello All,

i'm sorry I never updated this thread, life and everything that has to do with it so often gets in the way. I thought i'd get this done in February, heh, didn't happen until June and July. and I was still dealing with one portion into the Fall!

Anyway, I finally installed the Flowmaster 70-and-before system, fit is better than OK, worst part was having to work out where the muffler hangers went.

The instructions refer to landmarks in the pan that are close on a 71-73, so installed, propped and fit several times before drilling. Also, as I wanted to use band clamps, I added about 4 inches of tubing to the muffler end of the tailpipe to give the band clamp a place to work and still have a place for the hanger to be clamped.

Only concern is in the back by the fuel lines/sender, as the pipes seem to be very close to that area. However, I shielded it and check it for hose condition, and a tailpipe did go thru there from the factory, albeit a much smaller one.

The portion mentioned above that fought me? Connecting to the manifolds was exasperating, but I was using the original exhaust tubing and had to force it to cooperate with the rest of the system. It's decent now, maybe someday Ill do something better.

All said an done I like it, at first seemed too loud (gettin' old, heh), but it really makes the mild 351W in the car sound much more aggressive than it is. Oh well.

Best regards,

Tom

You should probably have one made locally since the car has a Windsor in it

A 70 non transverse system will be different over the axle and under the trunk area
Ditto.. I had a chrome one made to measure at my local exhaust center. Just make sure you get the crossover pipe fitted up the front end

Back