Dual vacuum advance

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manyo

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
Hello All !

My 351 C M CODE has a dual Vacuum advance distributor and my mechanic said I should off it for a single vacuum. Any suggestions to what distributor I should get? I want something that looks stock.

Thank you in advance!!!

you could simply start with 1) plugging the retard line on the distributor and simply route the vacuum hose directly from the timed vacuum port at the carburetor. Plug all the unused nipples.

You could just replace the dual vacuum advance can with a single advance can unit, too.

Unless there is sonething wrong with the distributor, there is no need to waste the money on another one.

As Jeff73 mentioned, all you need to do is remove your dual vacuum can and install an ADJUSTABLE single one.

STANDARD MOTORS PRODUCTS .........P/N VC31

BORG WARNER ................................ P/N V311

Curving your distributor advance so it is best for your particular engine will also help . This is something you can do yourself . It typically involves buying a Mr Gasket spring kit p/n 925d and removing only the stiff/heavy spring in the dist and replacing it with one from the kit then setting the initial timing to around 10 degrees BTDC and setting the vacuum advance to add 5 - 6 degrees.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something like this should work. You could then convert it to electronic ignition if you wanted or leave it with the points. Keep the original one in case you want to convert back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351-C-400-429-460-REMAN-DISTRIBUTOR-mustang-cougar-torino-cobra-70-71-72-30-2813-/290672981064?hash=item43ad75b448:m:mCL3yVibPL0l4_dGEXr5P6Q&vxp=mtr
Thank you!!!

As Jeff73 mentioned, all you need to do is remove your dual vacuum can and install an ADJUSTABLE single one.

STANDARD MOTORS PRODUCTS .........P/N VC31

BORG WARNER ................................ P/N V311

Curving your distributor advance so it is best for your particular engine will also help . This is something you can do yourself . It typically involves buying a Mr Gasket spring kit p/n 925d and removing only the stiff/heavy spring in the dist and replacing it with one from the kit then setting the initial timing to around 10 degrees BTDC and setting the vacuum advance to add 5 - 6 degrees.
Thank you!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back