Dummy lights for OEM tach swap ?'s

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slobin3d

Reaction score
My Car
1971,2,3 Mustang Project car
my car has dummy lights no clock, and the 3 gauge cluster on the center console as well, I picked up an OEM tach a while back and am wondering what all I need to to do replace the dummy lights for the tach?

I am in the same boat, and I'm here to tell you that you're better off sending your 'dummy light' cluster to Bob at Rocketman's Classic Mustang Innovations (http://www.rccinnovations.com/index.php?show=menu-mustang-all) He'll convert your dummy lights to a damn-near perfect replica of a factory tach.

Basically, you'll need a whole new dashboard wiring harness from a factory tach-equipped car, because the factory tach cluster won't plug-in to your non-factory-tach harness (I already tried). I've heard it can be done, but it will take some crazy wiring wizardry to make it work.

Hope this helps.

I am in the same boat, and I'm here to tell you that you're better off sending your 'dummy light' cluster to Bob at Rocketman's Classic Mustang Innovations (http://www.rccinnovations.com/index.php?show=menu-mustang-all) He'll convert your dummy lights to a damn-near perfect replica of a factory tach.

Basically, you'll need a whole new dashboard wiring harness from a factory tach-equipped car, because the factory tach cluster won't plug-in to your non-factory-tach harness (I already tried). I've heard it can be done, but it will take some crazy wiring wizardry to make it work.

Hope this helps.
Just call me Merlin.:D

LMAO!! Nice! Now, why didn't I remember that you'd already done that? You da man! :udaman:

Hope this helps.
Hey Merlin,got any idea's to share?I have mechanical engine gauges in the center,same dummy light cluster,I have a tach cluster,any way to put that tach in with the standard style speedo panel & make the tach work with the brake light? :-/

Wiring is no problem for me, and I already have a factory tach. I see that cjponyparts sells a tach circuit board for the car, is it as easy as swapping that for the dummy light board?

Wiring is no problem for me, and I already have a factory tach. I see that cjponyparts sells a tach circuit board for the car, is it as easy as swapping that for the dummy light board?
Nope. The tach circuit board is a replacement for the one on the back of the tach cluster itself (which I'm guessing you already have). The plug itself is the problem - they are different on the different clusters (which means, non-tach cluster only plugs into non-tach wiring harness... and vice versa). At the very least, you'll need to obtain a plug from a tach-equipped car, and figure out how to wire it in to the non-tach wiring harness. THAT'S the hard part I'm talking about.

Hopefully, "Merlin" will have some advice for you. ;) rofl

Nope. The tach circuit board is a replacement for the one on the back of the tach cluster itself (which I'm guessing you already have). The plug itself is the problem - they are different on the different clusters (which means, non-tach cluster only plugs into non-tach wiring harness... and vice versa). At the very least, you'll need to obtain a plug from a tach-equipped car, and figure out how to wire it in to the non-tach wiring harness. THAT'S the hard part I'm talking about.

Hopefully, "Merlin" will have some advice for you. ;) rofl
I see, if there's a wiring diagram somewhere that says what wires do what I'm all over it! I have some other electrical issues under the dash to chase as well, so maybe if its too bad I might consider swapping the entire under dash harness all together, or build a new one at the least

It might be easier to swap out the dash wiring harness (seeing how you have other issues already), unless midlife can give you some advice on how he did his. I'm not entirely sure if it's possible to swap out just the dash harness at the tan plug, or if you'll need a whole new set-up - since there's a tach wire that passes through to the engine compartment, which I believe if wired incorrectly can have some really bad effects on your electrics (similar to wiring up the ammeter gauge to a one-wire alternator conversion).

Good luck, Bro.

Hope this helps.
Hey Merlin,got any idea's to share?I have mechanical engine gauges in the center,same dummy light cluster,I have a tach cluster,any way to put that tach in with the standard style speedo panel & make the tach work with the brake light? :-/
Kermit:

You'll need a factory tach dash cluster and its circuit board. If you have those, I can convert a standard underdash harness to tach configuration...I do this all the time.

Yes, the presence of two different dash cluster connectors (18 pin for standard and 12 pin for tach configuration) makes conversion impossible unless you have the 12 pin connectors. Currently, I have 8 available for conversions. They are difficult to find and I spend a lot of time in junk yards scavenging these puppies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back